Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We have strayed a bit from the topic, but a little known fact about Windows is that over time, programs will take up residence in the memory. Uninstalling and rebooting does not remove these physical references. Please don't misunderstand, they don't actually live in the memory, as that is cleared out every time you reboot, rather a reference point is created that cannot be removed. Think of it like a dewey decimal system that never gets cleaned out even when you take the books out of the library. Uninstalling and rebooting don't clear these out.

The point is these tiny little chunks of memory build up over time and eventually they will bog down a system. Just like looking through dozens of cards in the card catalog that are no longer valid.

So the story usually goes like this. You buy a new PC and it's super fast. After a year its running slower and slower. You ask your neighbors kid to take a look, he comes by and removes a bunch of software, but despite being "cleaner" the PC is still doggy. You eventually resolve to the idea that your machine is just too slow for todays standards, when it reality it really just needs Windows wiped out and reinstalled.

Now don't get me wrong, as time goes on Software becomes more advanced and might require more resources, but really how much power do you really need to run MS Word, or Firefox? Not much, its the lure of Vista or a hot new game that really pushes the resources of a PC.

I'm confident that if I were to rebuild ole' Betsy today, that page would run as well on it as my powerbook. I'm just waiting for an OS to be developed that rebuilds itself on bootup, or better yet, moves away from this "my computer, my setttings" being on one particular machine attitude. I'm looking for a google solution very soon.

OK enough about my crappy job, lets get back to sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wipe and reinstall windows at least once a year. :)

Yes sailing! Hopefully I'll be doing some tonight.

I have seen a couple other commercials/tv shows in the past with hobies. I don't have a TV at home though (keeps me outside and in the books more), so those annoying commercials don't get stuck in my head.

I love it when someone asks me if I've seen a show lately, and I say no, I don't watch TV. They usually just don't get it.... "how do you not have a TV???" Easy, I just don't buy one!

Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

Campaign for Liberty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I rock a dual athlon mp 2ghz system at home.. but I have parts for a 2.6 dual core sitting on the table.. too lazy to reload my system right now...

Back on topic...

The newest "sandals.com" commercial has a cat flying a hull and it says "fly more for less"... it's regarding a 50% sale they are running.. but I like that they have the fly for less up there for the cat flying a hull!