Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ahoy!

Short: totally new to cat sailing skipper here, 0 hours, 0 minutes. Somewhat meaningful naval experience, a perhaps dangerous sense of being naturally gifted to sail, can read :-) , more than slightly obsessed about safety.
Therefore, the short term priority is to survive long enough to build experience, so that I can be reliably safe for myself and my crew, most especially the admiral.

1) PFDs are non-negotiable.
2) Helmets worn by all when under sail
3) When and if we grow up to deserve some trapeze time (it's a Hobie, c'mon, that what you do!) we'll have figured out the best quick release hook set-up in the planet. Redundant.

The question is, am I missing something vital?

That's the purpose of this thread, besides some odds and ends that follow, below.

Long:

Quick introduction; in Uruguayan idiom, "happy as a dog with two tails," is self-explanatory, I think.
Very happy. Very.

That's the way I feel, since getting my '78 Hobie 16, 10 days ago, purchased for $200 disassembled, which suited me fine as my trailer was too small at the time. After pressure-washing at my in-laws and assembling, then raising the mast by myself (yay!), I added 4 feet to the trailer tongue and jury-rigged some 8 foot 2x4 to actually bring this baby home.
Where that pair of tails keep the whole dog wagging.

Then, I wonder, and study, regarding the next steps. I have always loved sailing. Born in land-locked Bolivia, to hard-working parents with not that much to spare, sailing was not available until eventually I became a captain in the merchant marine with access to the company dinghy, a beautiful lively wood creature up in amazing lake Titikaka, as a job perk when off-duty. Life moved on, I am now a farmer in central New Hampshire, and finally could afford my own boat, so why not the best? Of course, of course, on a budget... And, as I believe it is the way it should be, safety is my primary concern.

If I care about safety, wife does several times over, with good reason: she is (now) a surprisingly mobile survivor of a major neck accident, 25 years ago in the ocean (which, by the way, is the reason I couldn't get us a transat sailboat and sail the oceans together - my life plan before I met her - but then, no dream boat ever has a chance in a tradeoff match with my girl). Making my own boom and sail that leave a huge safe space, and trap seats are highly likely, for my lady, even a canopy, why not, while in traditional rigging the nephews/nieces will get their need for emotions fulfilled, but not before we are way past outstanding at the basics.

I might be able to do the shakedown cruise this Monday. Very plain and tidy, just testing systems.
I seem to have scored; except for the half inch of grime now gone, everything appears reasonably complete, the hulls firm except a bit bubbly surface in places. All wires look fine. After fixing some creative hacking done by the previous owner, now back to Hobie Owner Manual standards by me, the biggest urgent task remaining is to finish the trailer, then tweak one more time my mast raising rig, and pronto!

I've been reading as much as I can, surprised at no "one source" of Hobie 16 wisdom, which seems mostly to be proudly passed as an oral tradition, the common advice is to find someone to apprentice with. I am all for such an opinion, but, 1) feel more at ease amongst you folks, who do care about recording your experience, and helping noobs and experts alike. Besides, 2) haven't ever seen a Hobie in real life, none in my neck of the woods (hilly central New Hampshire), until I purchased this one.

There's more questions coming, but let's start with the life-and-death issues, right?

Thank you

TwoTailDog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

4) capsize. (and turtling. In the mud)
@bravofredrik suggested in 2020 a football filled with polyurethane foam. I'll go bigger, do a beachball. That will be plenty picturesque, until I perfect the CO2 cartridge inflating a tidily attached bladder until activated manually.

In other news, no test sail yet. Only twice I had to cut welded pieces... :roll:
But, moving, moving.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Replace standing rigging of unknown age/condition. Visual inspection is good, but failures typically occur in swages, etc. where you cannot see.
A couple of gallon orange juice jugs tied to the head of the mainsail will do for a mast float. Lighter is better when righting from capsize. Practice righting under controlled conditions (e.g., in a shallow protected area, with helpers/power boat nearby, etc.).
Repack trailer wheel bearings and get a good spare.
Hands-on experienced help is invaluable. Put your location in your profile box/signature...you never know who might be (or know someone) near you. Hook up with some established fleet folks whenever you have a chance (e.g., attend a regatta not to race but to make contacts/learn). Most catsailors are eager to help. https://hcana.hobieclass.com/hobie-fleets/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Helmets?...ok...
PFDs, yes absolutely
A mast head float is a mixed blessing. It'll keep the boat from turtling, but makes it harder to step the mast, and harder to right after a capsize. Also, holding the boat on its side can result in the boat being blown away from you after a capsize, which has happened to some people on this forum.

Unless you KNOW for certain the standing rigging (side shrouds, forestay, bridals) are recently replaced, replace them. I bought a used Hobie 17, the seller claimed he had just replaced the standing rigging. On my third sail on it, in moderate wind, a side shroud parted and the mast came down.

I assume you've found this page. https://www.hobie.com/support/hobie-16/

With your focus on safety, a Getaway might be a better choice for you. Won't capsize nearly as easily as a 16. Almost impossible to pitchpole. No boom to deal with. Wings make sailing SO much more comfortable. Downside is it is slower than a 16 in light to moderate winds, and isn't as responsive. Will carry a bunch more people though. Sort of like a Buick compared to a Camaro.

Hobie's trap system with a spreader bar works well. Be careful of trying to outsmart the proven systems.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's a link to the Hotline archives
http://www.w1dm.com/Projects/HOTLINE/Hotline.html

and newer ones
https://hcana.hobieclass.com/hotline-relaunch/

and the racing association, good information even if you never race
https://hobieclass.com/hobie-classes/hobie-16/

and more Hotline issues
https://www.hobie.com/hobie-cat-racing/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TwoTailDog wrote:
4) capsize. (and turtling. In the mud)
@bravofredrik suggested in 2020 a football filled with polyurethane foam. I'll go bigger, do a beachball. That will be plenty picturesque, until I perfect the CO2 cartridge inflating a tidily attached bladder until activated manually.
Only twice I had to cut welded pieces... :roll:

Hobie makes the Bob masthead float. Get a baby bob for the 16. My Getaway uses the mama bob. I think the papa bob is on the 21.

There is a commercial CO2 mast float on the market. It has the same drawback that I found with inflatable PFDs: When you use it (inflate it when you hit the water), then you are stuck wearing it inflated for the rest of the day! I only wear my inflatable PFD on very hot and low wind days.

........what did you cut......? (there is nothing on the boat you should have had to cut. And when you re-weld it, you'll lose the tempering. Now, if you have a heat treatment facility and know how to properly use it, never mind.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And of course this is none of my business, but since it appears that your wife's mobility is somewhat limited, will she be able to get back on the boat after a capsize? And is she safe in the water when a capsize occurs?

16s go over relatively easily.

The 17 (which is a solo race boat) and the Getaway (a relatively heavy and larger boat) resist capsize much better than the 16. But I've put both those boats on their sides when I wasn't expecting it. In one case, I was behind a point on the lake in low wind and when I came around the point a gust took me by surprise and dumped me. The other time, my wife and I were pulling away from shore in a downtown area (Lake Mendota in Madison WI), and as we tacked around, a gust came between buildings and dumped us. She was not pleased. Especially since it was our first time in self inflating life vests and hers essentially punched her in the face.

One idea that I heard about is a guy adapted a Hobie 14 mast and sail to his 16, to lower the possibility of capsize. A similar idea is to reef your sail on those times you absolutely don't want to chance a capsize. The older 16s have reef points in their sails. The newer ones don't. But you can have them added. I have a 6' reef in my Getaway sail for when I'm in high winds by myself, or anything other than the tamest days when the little grandchildren are with me. Quantum Sails sewed the reef in for about $100.

I hope I'm not burying you in stories and information, or coming across as too preachy. 33 years sailing Hobies and I've made almost every mistake there is to make. The only reason I say "almost every mistake" is I'm sure I'll discover some more! LOL!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all!

first, thank you.

second, @dorienc, You're not overstepping in any way, you're demonstrating caring and compassion, which I wish I will have the courage to do, when it's my turn to help others.
To answer your question, yes, probably, maybe... BUT, the emotional damage would be so much, that I cannot risk at all a capsize. "She was not pleased." Uh, that would be an understatement. I would essentially lose her trust in sailing with me. Cannot risk that.

Getting advice, we feel (I shared I'm asking for help, she said, "very good!"), is making us all feel a tad more confident. Of course, the responsibility begins and ends with the Captain here present, but, as disclosed, the captain here is very new to these two-hulled felines, and is willing to listen, while not surrendering his role as the sole authority onboard after God (and I have her permission to say so).

In that sense, with some shame, I must confess that I am already preparing to rig as a pontoon, for now towed by kayak, maybe later a small electric, by building a canopy kind of thing with the cadaver of a friend's car tent that collapsed last winter. Beach chairs (secured) on the tramp. Oh, the embarrassment... :P That will happen before any kind of trap seats come together.
Also, I do have the old sail reef points, she's a '78. However, that sail is still too high, too much potential leverage. I've been munching on perhaps a lateen, or even square. I don't mind yet doing some towing, just that we can be together from time to time. Of course, I'll also have my full rigged moments, with different crew, but, one problem at a time, as Dad used to say.

Hey, old salts sharing stories, that never is a definition for brevity.
Thank you, again (I'll follow up with responses, and other questions, later. Munching especially on the stays & rigging issues pointed at)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:
TwoTailDog wrote:
Only twice I had to cut welded pieces... :roll:

........what did you cut......? (there is nothing on the boat you should have had to cut. And when you re-weld it, you'll lose the tempering. Now, if you have a heat treatment facility and know how to properly use it, never mind.)

In the trailer. I was building this fantastic contraption, using wheels from skateboards, to make it easier to load/unload, especially for land storage. Very clever, precise angles, etc. Felt proud of myself.
Useless...
During the shakedown launch, I realized the boat simply floats in and out of the trailer, no rollers needed. On land, I can use very simple wood horses, and a bit of levers, and I'm good. Besides, those rollers did damage one of the hulls. Prompting me to look more closely, and finding some weak areas and tiny cracks here and there. Patched with fiberglass and resin, but that's another story.