Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks...I have a new style Wave mast that looks to have been dropped by the previous owner while it was on the boat. There's a dent right where the mast crosses the rear crossbar, and it's bent at that point too.

I'm wondering if the bend is bad enough to attempt to straighten it? The reason I ask is that the boat seems to have lee-helm on one tack, and wind-helm on the other...I assumed this might be because of the bend?

I've seen the Joyrider TV vid for how to straighten a bent mast, but I don't think their mast had a dent in it like mine does...so I'm not sure if that changes the approach?

It looks like the chances of me finding another lower mast are virtually zero at present, so either I suck it up and just leave it as is, or I have a go at getting the bend out and hope it doesn't crack.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I've had some experience with bent masts, and let me tell you, trying to straighten it yourself can be a bit tricky. Try using a hydraulic jack to carefully straighten the bend. Place the jack under the bent section and apply gradual pressure to push it back into shape. But remember, go slow and steady, and keep a close eye on the mast for any signs of cracking or further damage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried using a hydraulic jack and, after pushing so far in the opposite direction it looked like a banana, it didn't even start to remove the bend. It must have taken a hell of a knock when it got bent originally!

Looks like I'm just gonna have to invest in a new lower...if I can find one :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That bend looks pretty minor. I would just sail it as is. If you really want to replace it and you can’t find a Wave mast, you could also use a H14 mast and cut it to length. They are the same extrusion.

If your rudders aren’t balanced properly, I would check the rudders themselves. Make sure the locking mechanisms are working properly and that there is little or no slop when the rudders are down. You can also adjust the rudder rake to change the feel of the helm. Its also possible, if you have injection molded rudder blades, that the rudders themselves aren’t symmetrical. That could also lead to inconsistent helm.

sm