Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 12 Monocat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've come across an old Hobie 12 Monocat (looks like from 1973) that is complete but needs TLC. It has the potential to be restored to its former allure.

Does anyone have any info on this boat (like old brochures)? Any feedback on how well it sails? A guess on how much I should offer to buy it for?

It seems like a nice boat to start my kids sailing on (ages 1-12); they've always been intimidated by my full size cats. And it looks like a fun boat.

Thanks,
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a four page brochure at my site.
Hobie 12 Monocat Brochure

Damon Linkous
http://www.thebeachcats.com

Post subject: brochure
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great info--love the old brochure. Anyone sailed the Hobie 12?

Eric

Post subject: Holder 12/Hobie One
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love these boats! After looking at lazers, sunfish, dolphins and others around this size I finally decided on this boat 10 years ago. I bought a 1990 model for $630. w/o trailer. The sail was in great cond. This was also my first sailboat. Even though I was told by the local sailing shop that I was to big for a boat this size, at the time I weighed around 145 lbs, I never have had problems with weight. Throughout high school my friends and I would head for the lake in this boat. Usually there was my girlfriend and one other person sitting inside. This boat is very comfortable more so than a lazer or sunfish. Believe me they are very tough also. I have had to do very little repair to this boat and for years I was taking it out a couple times a month. They really do sail great also. It will turn on a dime, point extremly well and tacking is very simple. I have never tried it on the ocean though. Up to 2 years ago Hobie still sold most of the parts through their dealers. I have not checked recently. Some of the parts have changed over time like barrel cleats and dagger board positioners. I would check the hull for fiberglass seperation. I have seen this problem before in this boat. Sadly I rarely sail the Holder since I bought my first H16 a few years back. I plan to keep it as long as possible though, Good Luck, Thear.

Post subject: Whoops
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After typing all of that I realized we were talking about two different boats, Anyway the monocat looks like fun too :oops: Thear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:39 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I sailed the Mono-cat a couple of times back in 1979. I worked for a dealer who let me take his out to play.

As I remember, it was a blast. Tried to make it pitchpole, but couldn't (something that a 19 year old would do :D ).

I also remember that there were some severe quality / longevity probelms with the boats and that's why they stopped making them. The hull / deck seams leaked badly and the ABS hull material would delaminate from the styrofoam flotation. There were a couple of "derelict" boats in the back lot of the dealer that were unsalvageable.

Matt M. might have more inside info on that, though.

I'd look very carefully at one of these that was 25+ years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Take a look at the new Hobie Bravo, lots of similarities between it and the old Hobie mono-cat.
http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_bravo.html