Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hi fellow sailers.

I'm wondering if there are any solutions other than the sail box listen in the Hobie accessory catalog. That one is rather small. I was hoping for a box that can hold Main and Jib, the rudder assembly and tiller extension together with a few life vests.

I searched Lowes and Home Depot, but they don't have longer boxes.

Any suggestions?

I found the thread about the person using a large PVC pluming pipe, but that too seems a little small.

I have seen plenty of pictures of nice large boxes, both plastic and aluminum, but can't seem to find the source of this boxes.

Thanks for your help

Bjorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My first sail box was an 18" diameter piece of PVC that was ten feet long. It held sails, boom, rudders, harnesses, PFDs, tools, etc. I bought an end cap for the forward end and made a wooden cap for the rear that was hinged.

PVC pipe pricing has gone up because of the price of oil. If I was going to build one today I'd look at corrigated drain pipe. Drill some small weep holes for drainage in each section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go to a plumbers shop and ask if he has so large scrap pipe. That is how i got mine. A local plumber sold me a 10 foot long piece of enormous pvc for next to nothing. It was out overgrown with grass behind his shop. Pieces that large are rarely used in shorter amounts than the stock size so a cut piece is waste to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I looked into 12" dia. PVC pipe, but it was too expensive. What I ended up using was a ten foot piece of 14" dia. ROUND GALVANIZED DUCT. I bought two end caps, which I secure in place with bungee cords, and connected the whole assembly onto the trailer with galvanized straps I also picked up from the duct supplier. The whole thing cost me about $45. I can fit my H14 mainsail & boom, jib, snorkel, two life vests, a tool box, sheets & blocks, and a paddle inside this thing. Anyone interested can send me your email address and I'll send you a couple of photos.

Patrick
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a 12" plastic pipe and that is fine but I can't find good (as in easy to remove and lock as well as not costing the moon) end caps for it. The only problem I have with it is that it is not big enough for the dagger boards of the H18. I wish I could find a cheap plastic solution to the dagger board storage issue. I need to be able to lock them in something. Right now I drag them back and forth along with paddles, life vests.

If anyone has ideas I am all ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I might go the PVC pipe route.

But where can I find these large 8 foot or so boxes I see on peoples trailers. Many times when I see a picture on the internet of a cat on a trailer they have a large nice plastic or aluminum box. But I just can't seem to find the source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The aluminum or plastic tool box's that go in the back of pickups work well for storing rudders, and other gear. I think pvc is just about the only way to go for a sail tube. But the caps are horribly expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Many times when I see a picture on the internet of a cat on a trailer they have a large nice plastic or aluminum box. But I just can't seem to find the source.

The ones you are seeing are probably home-made. Certainly not the least expensive route, nor the lightest, since most are made of plywood (fiberglassed and/or painted so they look like plastic from a distance).

Tubing, whether PVC, corrugated plastic or galvanized (although I would worry about rust) is the fastest, cheapest way to go.

If you're handy with tools and have some time, you can make a very simple box that will protect your stuff, but at a cost of time, weight and $.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's one if your close by.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cat-Box- ... dZViewItem

Stan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's an example of a homemade sailbox. It's a shoebox design with a removable top. The dimensions are 144"L X 34"W X 15"H. It was designed to carry a Tiger spinnaker pole fully assembled inside. It is constructed out of 1/4" plywood that was overlaped and glued to make 12 foot long pieces 1/2" thick. Once the box was roughed out, I laid up 2 layers of 6 oz. fiberglass/resin on the outside to weatherproof it and give the joints strength. It's heavy (Matt can atest to that) and expensive ($850 in materials) but it will be the last box I'll ever need. When I die...I want to be buried in my sailbox :wink:

Last edited by Johnny Wildcat on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ooops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are a couple of home made box plans

Plywood box
http://www.thebeachcats.com/Article4.html

PVC Tube
http://www.thebeachcats.com/Article55.html
with pictures
http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?m ... emId=11464

Another Picture Gallery of a PVC tube mounted on trailer (with other ideas)
http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?m ... emId=16207

Hope these help someone,

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all your replies.

What about a large ski box? I'm thinking of getting one for my car for the ski season. My sail requires a 96'' long box. Since they are produced in much larger quantities than sail boxes the price should be a little better, if I can find one that's large enough. I don't even have to attach it to the trailer, I can keep it of the roof for both summer and winter fun.

Last edited by krona on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good luck finding a ski box or roof box long enough. With that said if you find one for a reasonable price please share your results.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I found a few ski boxes, but they are "only" 92'' I just need a few more inches and I have a solution. I'll keep searching.