Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaky Hull
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I am new to this forum but have been reading it for a few months as I searched for the right Hobie for me. I choose a used Hobie 17 sport. It looks like it is in great shape, unfortunately, there is a leak in one of the hulls. The only place that I can find is the plug. It looks like the seal is not very good. But it's hard to believe so much water could get in from there. The boat sails great for the first hour and than slows as it takes on water. By the time we realized we where limping along and headed back it was too late. We would have made it, but the wind shifted on us. Sadly, we put too much weight on the back and flipped the boat. Almost immediately there where two power boats to our rescue. I guess the code of the sea is alive and well in Annapolis and one of the boats was kind enough to tow us in. When we got in, the fire department came to check on us. They had received three calls of a boat in distress. Then we had to talk to the water police, who told us that the coast guard was also out looking for us! We certainly could have made it back on our own, but admittedly, it would have been an other hour and we probably would have made the local evening news, and at that point the coppers would have been circling.

Needless to say, although I was grateful that everyone was looking out for me, I would prefer not to call so much attention to myself and would rather quietly go about learning to sail my most magnificent new toy. Any advice about how to figure out where the water is coming in and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on how to get as much sailing in without flushing away my marriage are also being excepted. I am posting this in the general forum as this problem is not Hobie 17 specific.

Thanks,

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think there is something about it in the questions section of this forum. It involves air pressure and soapy water... pretty easy but be careful, the hulls don't take pressure well from the inside.

I would say that you are getting leaks from multi places. Use some silicon and seal up around anything entering or exiting the hulls, also never expect to not have any water in the hull. I have a couple of cups after three or four hours of sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt Miller discusses finding leaks at: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=169
You are essentially looking anyplace on the hull with an attachment: bow tangs, crossbars, daggerboard wells (especially on a 17), and the drain holes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brian,

In addition to the above suggestions, fill the wing sockets with water and check the level after 30 minutes.