Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If a seller says bendy ... that is not typically a good descriptive word when selling a boat. I have been around boats long enough ( I've sailed monos for years and recently Cats) to know if someone especially a seller says bendy to reaise the red flag. Tread carefully!

I will not sway towards the 18 or the T as I have not sailed either but bendy generally=not good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How "bendy" is too "bendy?" Can the hull be a little soft without compromising the structure, or must it be perfectly stiff?

Anything else I should look for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not sure about the tornado, what is it made of, if it is an old plywood one I would say that if it is bendy at all it is bad. I mean you can expect the larger surfaces to give a little but if something is bending alot I would be worried.

If it is fiberglass, once again if something is bending alot then it is bad, but once again some large surfaces will be slightly flexible.

I would try and find some dedicated T sailors to know for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go here for Tornado info: http://www.tornado.org/index.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gree2056,

I think you've gotten the bug. :lol: You already have two boats. Most want a little bigger and a little faster boat but a Tornado is quite a jump from the H14 (we wont discuss the Nacra on the Hobie site). I've got the same bug about a Tiger. Then I realized that I haven't maxed out my H16 yet. I still want a Tiger but it's on the back burner for now. :D

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, the Dr. diagnosed me with "onefootitiss" I am constantly wanting a boat that is one foot bigger, and I always think that one more foot would be enough.

I would love to have a T, or many of the other larger boats but I am hoping that adding a spinnaker to the unmentionable boat will be enough to keep me interested for a while. Also sadly I have more than the two boats mentioned on my signauture. But most of them are junk and just used for parts.

I am actually excited about getting the spinnaker on the N5.2 it should be a blast. I know that people who have done it before have give F18's a good run for their money when soloing the baot. But I am not sure. We will just have to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't feel bad. This coming year I want to put a spi and a squaretop on my H16. It wont be legal but it sure poses to be a lot of fun. A lot of the Europeans are already using the spi on the 16s.

Your N5.2 should do great. I have a sailing buddy that has a spi on his N5.5 and, WOW.

David

Post subject: H18 Vs Tornado
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the many reasons I love Hobie's is that there is a consistency in fabrication and design, (hey the H16 is how old now?), and that the parts are aviation standard.

The Tornado is a 'committee' boat. 'It shall not have X and Y, and may have A and B etc.' So depending who built the hulls (Marstrom, or the guys from Toronto, or the best which are from Sweden,) or Joe Blow in Dohickeysville, you may have a catamaran that has the same dimensions, the same mast, sails from a different loft, so not quite the same. Parts can also be an issue.

We used to have a T-sailor at our club, and he NEVER put the boat on the beach. 'Hulls too delicate,' he said. He always sailed with crew. He never 'pushed' the Toronado too hard, 'cos he knew the limits of his skills. All that being said, it is a scary fast catamaran, which is why it is the Olympic class cat. They will weigh about 350 lbs, compared with the H18's 400 lbs. So if you want to zoom zoom zoom, go for it.

If you want a cat that you can race, that you can zoom in, and that you can have the family on board, go for the Hobie. You will also be joining the Hobie family and the Hobie way of life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have sailed on Winnepusaki (I have not idea how to spell it). The T might be a bit large for the lake. Remember the lake is clogged with power boats. Plus, you have the rocky shores. The 18 is a bit more robust. I would see if you can get a ride on both types of boats and see which one you like better. My opinion is get teh 18

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice guys. I concluded that either boat will be great for me, but in different ways. So I'm going up to look at the T on Thursday. I'll let you guys know how I make out. If I end up not getting the T, I'll find an 18 and get that.

If I do get the T, I'll probably also save fora H16; that way, I will be part of the Hobie family, and have something that is more family friendly, and can be rigged faster.

Last edited by Winnipesaukee on Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was going to say, just get both!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hah! I wish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For a design that is 40 years old the Tornado is still one of the coolest boats ever made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also the fastest cat made!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would talk to someone that owns a Tornado before you jump. Your getting advice from a few of the best "bench racers" on the forum. :lol: There is a big difference between those two cats, it's hardly a coin flip. Your experiance as a sailor, your intended use, and where your sailing should be your best indicators. I would think the Tornado would be like a second boat, kind of like a Ferrari is a second car, besides, what are you going to sail when it's in the shop?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next