Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I have a 2001 corolla, and ive been apprehensive to tow my 14T anywhere with it (mainly because i was scared of using it on ramps) but after reading this it seems like its not that bad. I know my manual and specs say i can safely tow it since it is under the maximum tow weight.

however, i still want to buy an fj cruiser or an older land cruiser next summer. then i can fit all the gear in the car so much more conveniently, not worry about ramps, drive in sand, and still go a decent speed while towing.

what i have been using is a 96 suburban (even a tow pkg), which is definitely overkill to the point that i dont even notice a difference when pulling it around. The 16 on the other hand is noticable, mainly due to the much heavier and bulkier trailer, and of course the heavier cat. but they still both seem to be lifting off the ground when i drive at 65-70 on the highway.

last, my friend has towed both with a 2003 honda crv, and while you can definitely feel the difference in braking and accelerating, it has absolutely no problems, even on the steepest of ramps.

Hope that info helps someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 1961 Ford Econoline pickup gets as many stares as my '71 H-16. It's a little underpowered for... well, just about everything. Fortunately, the area around Phoenix is pretty flat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

1997 Ford 4X4 F-250 Diesel. Until I find a decent launch ramp I'll need that 4 wheel drive since the only launching it looks like I'll be doing is a soft sand ramp at my cousins house. My wifes truck would be more suited for the cat in normal/local conditions, hers is a little mazda truck. I sometimes think about putting a hitch on our 1988 total cherry Lincoln Town Car (44,000 original miles), but maybe I'll just keep her in the garage...actually the H16 is in the lincolns spot right now getting buffed and prepped for the maiden voyage Sunday...hopefully. Although too small the cat would REALLY look cool behind our Manx clone fiberglass Dune Buggy (El Lobo for you Buggy freaks 8)).

Another possibility is a 1976 Tioga 2 motor home we might be getting...Gotta throw a hitch on it, and the wifes not happy at all with another vehicle arriving...but vehicles happen :wink: . And hey, IT'S FREE!!! A buddy is buying a house and this is one of the things that comes with it. Since the current owners are crazy they bought it, parked it, and loaded it up with junk. We have to clean it out and see if it's worth working on. From what little we can see it looks favorable. That would be cool to do some camping/sailing trips!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We are looking at getting a new car this fall and would like to go with a diesel Volvo. A quick google search brought up the V50 model, does anyone have (towing) experience with this car, or Volvos in general?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are a lot of replies to this same topic here

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=89688&an=0&page=0#Post89688

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can tow a cat with just about anything. I know a guy who used to tow his H16 with an MG B. If you are going to be doing alot of long distance towing, you may want to consider a vehicle that is a bit more beefy than a small car.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Beachboy wrote:
H21SE on reworked H-17 trailer with homemade catbox and tongue box (HDepot) towed by FJ Cruiser. Great ride.

Hey Beachboy how many MPG to you get towing that, and is it 4x4? I really want an FJ cruiser, but one of my only concerns is mpg.

I'm used to a 33 mpg corolla though, not a prius or something, so i think as long as its not the 12 mpg suburban i'm currently using, Ill be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm gonna have to revert to my earlier post about towing the 16 with a 99 ford taurus. Funny how things mess up at the worst possible times. Me and a buddy were on our way yesterday to the Cape Hatteras Regatta in NC. This was going to be our debut regatta. I spent many hours cleaning the boat and replacing miscelaneous parts, including taking the boat to work with me to work on in my down time, I know cushy job by the pool.
To make a long story short, we got about 70 miles up 95 when I notice a smoke-like substance coming out the back of the car. I immediately took the nearest exit. Soon as I pulled onto the ramp my rpm's started jumping all over the place. When the car dropped into a lower gear, all the engine would do was rev. No gear. Tranny's blown, with transmission fluid all over my recently detailed hulls. So now I'm stuck. This was approximately 7:30 p.m., we had left at 6:00 p.m. AAA said they'd be there at 9:30, fat chance in that happening. Luckily my mom was at home with another vehicle that could do the towing, an 80's F150 xlt. Didn't want to take it on the Five hour trip as it would have cost well over a hundred bucks in gas. So she brought it up to the exit. I wasn't gonna let this little hiccup keep me from the race I thought. Low and behold the 2 inch ball that was on the truck was rust welded together. Didn't have the right tools and after about a can of wd-40 and an hour of pulling and tugging with the only suitable tools we had, slip lock pliers and a vice grip, it wouldn't budge. My trailer takes a 1 7/8 ball. Funny what an eighth of an inch makes. So four and a half hours after calling AAA, the tow truck arrives. The wrong one. We specifically told AAA we had a small car towing a light-weight sailboat. They didn't instruct the tow driver, so he had the wrong rig. So I had to leave the boat at a near by gas station after pulling behing the truck with some crafty lashing. Finally got the car home at 3:00 a.m. and then had to borrow a cousins truck to make the trip back to the boat. Needless to say, I didn't get to sleep until daylight, about 5:45. Almost a twelve hour ordeal. Maybe next time right. Ok so maybe this wasn't a long story short but you get the idea.

So watch out racers, I now have a vendetta to fufill. :twisted: Not against you guys and gals, but sister fate herself. So when you see me at the next possible regatta, please disreguard the look of blind determination on my face, it's noting personal. :twisted:

To the juck yard crew, I hope you pulled one out for me and kicked ass at Hatteras. I assure you I was there in spirit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lol thats what you get for driving a ford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I won't argue that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

2000 Mazda B3000 for my 14 and it tows it like it isnt even back there. It tows my 19' bayliner with out hesitation as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just for fun, the transmission on my Taurus died again.

Keep in mind I havent been towing with it at all. Grrrr...

Looks like Aamco will cover it under the warranty. With $2500 and 1000 miles, one would hope so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like your FORD is stunding up to it's acronym.

Found On Road Dead :lol: :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought it was First On Race Day.

But then again I towed our first Cat (a P16) 2400 Km (one way) to Florida and back with a Fiat and we all know that stands for Fix It Again Tony