Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G-Cat 5.0
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Does anyone have any experiance with G-Cats? A buddy and I were looking at an 1982 the other day that by design looked pretty good. We sail in shallow waters and that's why it is appealing, however, the rudders look deep. It seems like lots of floatation and plenty of freeboard and seems tough along the lines of a H18, well, nothing out there is quite that tough. The extra 80 sq ft. of tramp forward of the mast base is a appealing for sunbathing crowd. It seems like it would be great in the ocean and had heard one of these versions raced in the Worrell at one time. The portsmouth rating is about the same as the H16. We need something bigger than a 16 without daggers, because when we both are trapped out it's just too crowded at the back of the boat. 400+ at the back corner of a h16 get old. It seems like a very durable boat and I'm sure parts are scarce, but it didn't seem like much could break on this boat. I could bend the mast, but what else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are all kinds of things you could break but that isn't important. You will be able to find some old parts or just replace them with something Hobie made.

I am not sure how the reaction will be to you asking about this on this website, some of the guys i am sure will at least joke around about it not being a hobie.

For more info you might go to catsailor.com, there will surely be some guys that know about this boat there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your losing me. If Hobie had a boat that was comparable than I would understand. Daggerless, more floatation and capacity than a 16, identical portsmouth rating as the 16, fiberglass, you can buy it used for 500 bucks and it's not made anymore. Which Hobie toes would I be stepping on, I wish I was, I would buy it? Give this forum a little more credit, at least I don't sign every informative post with a direct competitor. No wonder they make fun of you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:45 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you want more info on G-cats, go ask the question on Catsailor. You're a lot more likely to get a straight answer.

ImageImage

Don't forget who's paying for the maintenance and bandwidth of this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 84' Fiero sometimes has a miss in the engine while driving down the interstate. Any ideas? :lol: :lol: :) :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ideas... stay off the bridges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own two Hobie's. I didn't realize it was a no, no to compare other boats. Your right Matt, catsailors a better choice. Karl, that miss in the engine of your Fiero was rumbling in your gut of owning one of the biggest girl cars of the 80's. Your response makes total sense now. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just wanted to post something totally un-related. I needed the other extreme, I've got a big diesel pickup and had tiny car. Sadly I sold the fiero last week. It was an impulse purchase. Fun to drive, but I didn't fit in it too well at 6' 2"

That bridge is something. Lucky something. Only 5 people died. Statistically should've been way more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Buzzman, don't you live in Conneaut OH?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Nope, Columbus. I wish I lived there, I think that's right on Lake Erie. Someone else on here hails from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Must be. Me and Karl and a bunch of the others from here that went to NY stayed there in the CRAPPIEST FRIGGIN' HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAY AT.
Word to the wise: If you need to stay in Coconut OH while driving across county, risk falling asleep at the wheel instead of The Days Inn. What a (censored) hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buzzman, parts are still available for Gcats, there is a post in the classifieds on catsailor from the manufacturer selling a F16 and standard G. He should be able to help. The G that raced in the Worrell was highly modified with wing-like racks for hiking and huge sail plan, saw some pics of it on catsailor. Seems like it was sponsored by superlube.