Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baby Bob
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I already posted in the H14 forum, bu I thougt that some of you guys coul put in some input. I am trying to install a baby bob on my H14. The mast uses a single pulley system at the top, so it is kinda circular. The bob is designed to be placed over the top of the mast and have fasteners put through four holes in the top of the mast. however, If I did this, I think that the fasteners would go through the halyard pulley, stopping it so that the halyard would no longer move. How can I attach it? All the drawings in the instructions show a flat mast top. The top of the mast looks like this... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-hobie ... otohosting

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Baby bob on a old version mast head...

The bob comes with a kit # 30116. This is an instruction and 4 short screws.

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive/support/pdfs/30116.pdf

<<2. & 3. Hobie 14 and Hobie 16 without Comp Tip Mast Head. Tools required are a number 20 drill, a 10-32 tap and a drill motor. Place the Mast Float and Bracket over the mast head casting such that the centerline of the float is perpendicular to the center line of the mast. Make a mark on the casting at each of the 4 holes in the bracket. Remove the bracket and drill and tap the 4 holes. Caution: Avoid drilling into the sheave if possible. Using the 4 each 10-32 by 5/16" screws and lock washers secure the Mast Float to the mast head. The Hobie 16 mast head casting is narrower then the Hobie 14 and it will therefore require that the ears on the bracket be bent in.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just put one on my non-comp tip H16 this past weekend. NO PROBLEM!!
Go to Sears and get the 10/32 tap and drill packet for $3.99. The drill is a #21 but it works fine. You'll use the bottom 2 holes on each side of the Baby Bob (2 each side = 4). I also used blue Locktite on the 4 small machine screws for that little extra security. Just be careful and it will be no problem. When drilling use the supplied bit and apply light pressure. The drill will "punch" through when the hole is completed (There is more room in there than you think). Then carefully tap the holes.

I mistakingly drilled the 4 top holes out too. This didn't cause any problems but after I lace the haylard through I'm going to see if I can use longer screws and go all the way through without getting in the way of the sheeve and haylard. Looks like I have enough room and it might work, if it don't it's still fastened the way the instuctions said. With your H14 and the thicker sheeve encasement I would try to use ALL the mouting holes (It might even say that in the H14 instructions...I don't know, I didn't read that part).