Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 14? 16? 18?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So, I asked some of the 18 guys this question in an email today (Thanks John and Mike for your thoughts - I appreciate it), and thought I'd pose it to the board:

I'm re-evaluating my personal fleet, and would like your opinion on various Hobie sizes. I grew up sailing my Dad's 14, and am extremely comfortable with it going solo - one of my favorite summer activities used to be to wait until a storm was blowing in, then take the 14 out solo before the rain and thunder showed up. The problem was always when someone else wanted to come - the 14 really bogs down when you add a second person (at 190 lbs, I'm a touch heavy for it even on my own). While most of my sailing is done alone, I really like bringing other people - even multiple people - out for a sail as well.

So, when the 18 fell into my lap, I thought I had it made. My best memory of the 18 is last summer when my 2 brothers, his girlfriend, and I took it out on a nice windy day and tore up the lake all afternoon. Lots of power, but better yet, lots of flotation - it had no problems at all performing with 4 of us onboard. The problem with the 18 is that I'm just not comfortable soloing it. Conesus Lake is decent sized (7 miles long, about a mile wide at the widest point), but the surrounding geography is such that the wind is generally gusty and a bit unpredictable, rather than steady and consistent. When the wind does pick up, it's very difficult to trap, because you're constantly going in and out on the trap to match the gusting wind. When you really do get a gust, you're popped well up in the air before you can get out on the trap. I know, I've got rudders and sheets to counter gusts with as well, but point still stands. The 18 also gets me a bit uneasy because of its size and sail area. When I'm standing in the water and maneuvering the boat in the shallows, around docks, etc., it's powerful enough that if it tries to take off, I'm not necessarily strong enough to prevent it from crashing into the neighbor's docks. It just wasn't designed to be a solo boat.

The 14, on the other hand, is small enough that I can always man-handle it however I need to. On the 14, on the other hand, I hardly ever even have to use the hiking straps. Even in a strong blow, I tend to "stand" on the center lacing, with my butt on the rear casting, leaning all the way out. I'll keep one foot under the strap so I can shift out quickly to counter a gust though. Also, the danger is generally a pitch-pole, which I'm used to countering, as opposed to a capsize (my pitch-pole avoidance instincts tend to work against me there). I try to rake the mast back as far as possible and hike aft, but I generally start to bury the leeward bow before I can get the windward pontoon out of the water - I don't know how you folks do it.

To add to the mix, my father keeps a Flying Scott at his place along with my Hobie of choice. My mother won't let him sail the flying scot solo either, so he has the same problem. We're now toying with the idea of me selling off the 18 and 14, and getting a 16 that either of us could solo (??). I'm hoping (here's where you come in), that perhaps the 16 would be the perfect compromise between the two - the small, easy to solo, maneuverable 14, and the bigger, better for cruising with multiple people 18.

In your experience, how does the 16 compare to the 14 and 18? When soloing, how hard is it to keep the boat right-side up in a decent, gusty breeze? Would a medium-sized guy be able to solo easily without jumping in and out of the trap constantly? I don't mind a hull popping up at all, but I'd like to be able to counter it by leaning out a bit further, rather than scrambling in and out of the trap. How difficult is it to man-handle around in the shallows? Would it easily carry 2, 3, or even 4 people without bogging down like the 14? Is there enough tramp space for that many? How big a pain is the non-furling jib (I LOVE that feature about the 18, and would probably get the furling kit for the 16 if I do get one)? If you leave the jib off, can you still sail and tack the boat without too much trouble (my 18 handles absolutely horribly with the jib furled)?

Really, I'd absolutely LOVE to find an old beater 16 somewhere around the lake that someone would loan me for a couple weekends to try out before I make a decision, but I'm not sure that's a realistic possibility. The 14 has quite a bit of sentimental value to me, and the 18 was quite a find - I'd HATE to sell them both for the 16, only to discover that I'd rather have one - or both - of them back instead of the 16.

Anyway, you can see what I'm getting at - like many, I'm looking for the Hobie that my father or I can easily, safely solo under our un-predictable wind conditions, but can also take a few people along (the Getaway has crossed my mind a few times too - any experience soloing a getaway?) What do you think? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject: 16
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have owned a 14 and 16's. After a 23 year absence we just bought out 2nd Hobie 16 a few weeks ago. Can't speak to the 18 as we never had one.

The 14 is definately better for one person sailing and handling, but like you said, it doesn't handle two people well. The 16 easily can take two people. I don't know about 3. It would be crowded but I think it could be done. I think you can rule out four people.

I see your concerns about selling your 14 and 18 and then regretting it. If possible, could you buy the 16 first and try it for a few weeks before selling the other two? That way you haven't burned your bridges behind you so to speak. You probably would like the money from selling the other Hobie's first, but if you can swing it, keep them until you are satisfied with the 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FX-ONE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bill,

I have had 4 people on my 16 and it sailed fine with plenty of room. No performance sailing for sure or getting a hull up, but we scittered around all over the lake with no problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie 17 or FX-1.

The 16 will be easier to find and maintain due to its proliferation, and it is a good balance between the 14 and 18 as far as you describe your needs.

Have you considered the Getaway? I've not sailed it, but that shouldn't stop you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hate to state the obvious, but why not look at the getaway? Lots of performance solo and you can put gobs of people on it and not worry about it turning into a submarine. If you want more performance add a chute to it. I had a 16 for many years and It was a great boat but put 500 lbs. on it and it becomes a dog.