Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning/whitening sails
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a jib that looks terrible. It appears to be stained. Any way to get the stain out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

We had a dark stain atop the jib untill we capsized it this past weekend, if that method dosen't sound appealing I think I saw sail cleaner at either Boaters World or U.S. Boat/West Marine, I think it was Boaters World though. If you live in Annapolis I'd check out Annapolis Performance Sailing on Severn Ave. in Eastport, they have a pretty good selection of sailing hardware there. I go down there in a pinch for sailing related stuff that the boating chain stores don't have or stuff I can't wait for delivery on. I have to go out today to get some hull cleaner, I could use some sail cleaner too (We had a spur of the moment righting drill this past weekend), if I see any I'll let you know. Of course I take the Dune Buggy if possible to navigate those horribly narrow streets of Annapolis, so if you ever see a yellow fiberglass beach buggy with a chrome chain steering wheel, WIIIIIDDDEEEE rear tires, and a "Rat Fink" head hanging from the rear view mirror, thats me!

Oh yeah, if you find sail cleaner make sure its ok for colors, being the majority of the sailing world uses white sails I would make sure that stuff isn't bleach in a fancy bottle.

Last edited by swampcreek on Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey iresq, are you still going out on the Magothy this weekend? I did tell my cousin we would be up his way (Heart-Miller Island) this weekend, BUT I also have some feelers out for a place to launch on the Magothy. If anything pans out we MIGHT be out there too. If so we could meet up at Dobbins Island and have a few. (I have a few friends that go there almost every weekend).

For future reference if you see a white hulled H16 with blue, red, orange, dark yellow, light yellow, back to dark yellow then proceeding back to blue sails (1981 "Cat Fever" color scheme), chances are that's us (we also have a "Baby Bob" atop the mast).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Does your buggy have a turbo that leaks a bit of oil? If so, I think we passed each other @ Auto Zone in Serverna Park about a month ago.

We should be out and about this weekend. I am sure we will go to Dobbins. Just not the same anymore.

Ever do a camping trip to Heart Miller Island? We are considering it next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Turbo? No. It does have 4 individual exhaust headers which makes it VERY loud (Sets off car alarms like crazy). Leaks? Not often, even when it's in the mood to leak it's only a drop or 2. I prefer to say she's marking her territory.
I think I found a a launch at the end of Maryland Ave. off Mountain Rd. Will check that out today.
My cousin lives on the mainland just south of Heart Miller. We spent ALL last weekend sailing there (See "HERE WE GO...AND DID" this forum, and "BOAT FOR SAIL" in the H16 forum). There is almost always a breeze around Heart Miller, even when it's calm everywhere else. The bay heads roughly North untill that area then it turns more to NNE, maybe that has some influence in the winds. If you head that way let us know, my work schedule is a train wreck (Baltimore Gas & Electric...Rotating shifts, high work load, low staff) and it's soon to get worse (I'm on vacation this week 8) ), BUT if time allows we'll sail that area for sure! We saw a newer Hobie out there last weekend I think it was a "Wave"...not sure. I was going to turn around and check them out but I wanted to get back and take my cousin out for a spin. Yeah, Dobbins Is. looks doomed if that guy builds there. There is NO EXCUSE for Maryland not to have bought that Island a long time ago for the boating community...Oh yeah, I guess the "Loot Rail" was more important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Update on launch situation. The possibilities of being on the Magothy this weekend are slimming. You might see us, probably not. Unless something amazing happens we'll be up Hart-Miller way.