Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:45 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Dear Multihull Sailor:

Please consider adding your support to this Petition. RYA (Royal Yachting Association, England) has proposed to drop Multihulls from the 2009 Youth ISAF World Championship, and Multihulls from the 2012 Olympics. This Petition is to register your objections to this decision. There is no cost to make this petition signature, but you will be asked to make a donation, no donation is required to have your message registered.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Cata ... mission/?e

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Art Stevens picking the SL 16 and choosing to hold the events seperate from the other American ISAF events has hurt the multihull cause in the US more than any other single action.

Send a note to US Sailing to use the Hobie 16 as the youth boat. Also note that the events need to be held at the same place and the same time as the other ISAF qualifying races. This would expose more traditional monohull sailors and event organizers to the high quality sailing multihulls can bring to any event. It would also give second teir 49er teams an alternative to constant capsize drills.

If a change is needed in the Olympic class, the Hobie 16 is still the number one choice for inexpensive, inclusive, one design racing. Look at what a similar choice has done for the once dwindling Laser Class. Moving to the Hobie 16 is the move the Olympics need to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

F18 is the way catsailing needs to go in the Olympics. It is the only logical move from the Tornado.

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
If a change is needed in the Olympic class, the Hobie 16 is still the number one choice for inexpensive, inclusive, one design racing.

Change :? who said anything about change? The proposal is for elimination.
Please sign the petition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've already signed that petition, but I still believe the competition would be much greater if they canned the Tornado in favor of the F18. This would also make it much more affordable for many teams to compete.

1998 H16 102698
www.sunjammers.com ftw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
"Hammond"]Art Stevens picking the SL 16 and choosing to hold the events seperate from the other American ISAF events has hurt the multihull cause in the US more than any other single action.

Any chance you could qualify this statement with some specific facts?

We had three youth teams particapate in last years SL16 event. It was nothing but a positive experience and exposed many of the youths to multihulls for the first time.

I would agree that the H16 would make an excellent youth boat, however I think you'll have to make the spinaker part of the package. It's what most of the performance cats are doing these days from what I've seen. It should be an A-fleet requirement.

I'm all for the F18's replacing the Tornado!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you start talking about how much to do an Olympic campane,the cost of the boat is the least concern.These guys that are trying to get to the Olympics in the laser class are traveling all over the world to compete in all the top events. They are basically professional sailors.
I also thought that the 16 would be a good choice for the Olympics, but now I am not so sure. Becoming the choice for an Olympic boat is in some cases not so good for the class long term. Regardless of the boat the same talented fully funded professionals are going to dominate. It changes the whole ranking of the class. The average weekend sailor would not have a chance competing against the elite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Another survey
please participate

OLYMPIC CLASSES SURVEY
On 9th November 2007, the International Sailing Federation (ISAF) will decide
which 10 Events will be contested in the Olympic Regatta in Weymouth 2012.
Currently there are 11 Classes, so this means one of them must go. Not only
that, but there are some new Events that are also vying for ISAF's attention.
Whether you're a full-time Olympic sailor, a weekend warrior, or even just an
armchair yachtsman, we want to know what YOU think. Which Events should be
represented in the Olympic Regatta 2012? Remember, there's not enough room
for everyone, so we also want to know which ones you would leave out. Take
the survey at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=3 ... tgZg%3d%3d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Old School 18-

The sailing at the current youth events (multihull only) is good and fun, but as I stated before, none of the other youth sailors are exposed to any multihull sailing. The kids at our club in Southern California, a hot bed for youth sailing, didn't know about any of the multihull events because the events are held at a time when all the kids are still in school and not visible with the other events.

Kyle Vanderspeck, a youth sailor, stated that lots of kids would sail multihulls instead of 49ers if they knew they could go as fast with less work and less crashes. He said this was especially true for the "B" teams. Imagine a group of parents watching the 49er classes practice swimming while the Cats practice sailing. How fast do you think parents would be willing to switch given the opportunity to see first hand good multihull sailing. The youth multihull events must be held with all the other classes. The Hobie 16 is the widely available boat.

Allowing the French to push the SL 16 (the SL 15.5 with a never before offered rig) when it doesn't exist anywhere else in the world was crazy. The kids said the boat was under powered and not at all cutting edge. It is an expensive boat that is difficult to build with materials not used here in the US (ask performance).

Hobie 16's exist all over the place and can still be found cheap. Adding a spinnaker is also inexpensive compared to buying a group of boats and building a fleet.

Art has placed a lot of time and personal money into this area, but his decisions have hurt youth sailing in the multihull classes. He and I have discussed this at length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hammond, as usual, is right. Something as small as my little Yacht Club in Pigsknuckle Iowa, when the kids are out on the Xboats and Optis and a then the kids on the WAVES go cruising by, they all look longingly. They just have to see the boats on the water, then the parents just need to see the price tag difference and its a safe bet for those wth open minds. My 8 year olds OPTI cost more than my 17year olds 16. And the little guy wants his own Wave now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started a thread on the Wave forum about introducing a group of Boy Scouts to sailing on a Wave, after they had been bored by riding on bigger keel boats. I have the only Wave in my sailing club (of about 500 members), but the club owns a dozen or so each of Opti's, Sunfish, Flying Juniors, Lasers and three Interlakes that are used for training kids and adults. We hold six one-week sailing camps for the kids each summer. I can guarantee the excitement shown by those scouts greatly exceeded the excitement I've ever seen by any of our regular sailing students. I definitely plan to push our training committee toward the Wave for any future boat purchases.

But I will say, our club has soured on catamarans lately. We used to have an active Hobie fleet years ago, but now there are about 20 to 25 cats around our shore and parking lot with weeds growing up through them and/or trailer wheels sunk into the gravel. I've only seen 3 other cats on the lake all summer (and I've been out there alot). So I think the problem is that the attitude, and appearance, is that catamaran sailing WAS a fad, which has passed. It's hard to convince people that cat sailing is "where it's at", when so many have abandoned it.

Bill

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree 100% with Mike,

The idea of switching to boat that is not sailed by anyone or anywhere else besides a couple of ISAF youth events was foolhardy at best.

The great thing about the Hobie 16 as a youth boat, is that they are widely available, and that while not sailing in the ISAF Youth events, the kids, and or parents could still sail year round at Hobie fleet events, and open multihull regatta's

Would you as a parent, or a board memeber of a yacht club be able to justify the cost of a much more expensive boat, that could only be raced competitively a couple of times a year?

We have a good multihull clinic put on by CISA, and ABYC down here in Long Beach, that each year gets a really good turnout, and the kids have a blast sailing the catamarans, but what we need to keep the fleets going strong, especially in the years to come, is retention, and a boat that these kids can actively race with year round, and I do not think with the SL16 this is going to happen.

Just my 2 cents.