Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently picked up a spare set of sails (see post further down). Structurally they are decent, but need a bit of cleaning. I've got the dirt cleaning issue under control and am getting real good at removing even large rust stains also.

But, this set of sails has a different cleaning issue- all but one digit of the sail numbers is gone, but a dirty adhesive residue remains. I don't want to reapply the same numbers to cover the residue, so would like to clean off the residue. I did a search here but nothing addressed this problem.

So, before I start experimenting with some of the cleaners and chemicals I have around (Goof Off, Simple Green, Greased Lightning, and even Acetone), does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this problem?

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Last edited by aschaffter on Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:29 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've used acetone (small amounts on a paper towel) to remove adhesive residue on sails. Had no visible effect on the cloth.

You might also try 3M Adhesive Remover. It's a spray - I'd spray it on a paper towel, then wipe. It's not as volatile as acetone.

Always test in an inconspicuous area first.

Post subject: Goo Gone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How about trying Goo Gone or Un-Do? I'd test it first in a small area but I think both are safe to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. I think I will first try "Goof Off" (probably the same stuff as "Goo Gone"), then acetone.

Last night I worked on three bad 2" - 3" rust spots in the light blue panel of my new/old mainsail. I think I got a little too aggressive with the "Rust Away" and Barkeepers Friend- I created a few slightly lighter areas; either that or there is some Barkeepers friend residue left. But I got the rust out. Just a little dirt remains.

Light blue panel: Before:

and after (still a little cleaning to do):

Since the sun was nice (Tequila Sunrise? :lol: :lol: ) I stepped the mast and rigged and hoisted the sails for some pics. The sails are not as clean and crisp as my '86 Rainbow set, but once cleaned, they should be fine. I figure they are 6-7 years older than my '86 sails. I also need to have one jib batten pocket repaired. Still they are nice set of sails AND battens, AND boom, all for just $100 -I just need to figure out how to get the boom and battens from California to NC!

There are many more rust and dirt spots to clean, especially the lower half of the lime green panel. I'll put it on my workshop assembly table and just start working my way down from the head to the foot. You can really see what I mean about the dirty adhesive residue where the numbers were- it is not fading or lack of fading.:

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject: sails
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Beautiful! I wish I had rainbow sails! The ones on mine are all white. I am keeping a look out for some pretty colored ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think my tequilla sunrise sails were from the early eighties, or late seventies. I don't know for sure, but they were 40,000 sails later. 69206 I'm thinking your's are older than you think. Matt Bounds knows way more than a person should about when sails were produced :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:21 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

69xxx sails are from late 1982

27xxx sails are from 1977

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See! Scary isn't it? Way too quick I might add. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, thanks Matt. As dirty and beat up as they are, still not too bad for 30 year old sails!!!!! Is there a good guide for Hobie sail color/pattern history? I found one very incomplete listing here.

I cleaned the dirt and rust spots off the two top panels last night- just seven more to go :roll: . In addition to cleaning, I need to decide if I want to take the number "2" off and go with no numbers, re-apply the original numbers, or use the same numbers as on my '86 sails. I'll decide after I try a few more methods to clean the adhesive residue. After a quick test with Goof Off, and contrary to what I originally thought and hoped, the area where the numbers had been may indeed be darker/have less fading. The darker areas may never fully go away so re-applying the old numbers would at least hide those areas.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:11 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The authoritative sail pattern history is here:

http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/eHCA_News03-04_2006.pdf

Starts on page 18.

There is no "registry" of sail numbers, per se. I know the progression based on the patterns and my personal boats when I bought them (I'm on my sixth 16 now) and the archive of HOTLINES that I have (every one going back to the early '70's).

The only way to replace the original numbers is to trace them on to sticky-back vinyl and cut them yourself. Hobie hasn't sold the old style numbers for decades and it's an unusual, condensed typestyle - I've never been able to find one like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, again, Matt!!! I remember seeing that now. I tried Google but it didn't lead me there.

I am also getting a set of "Cat Fever" sails then I'll decide which ones to keep. I should be able to easily recoup the cost of both sets by selling just one set on Ebay at the beginning of the sailing season next spring!! I've seen sails like mine (without boom and battens) go for $300 - $600 on Ebay- crazy!!!

Has anyone followed up on the cleaning and restoring services provided by Sail Care? The last I read was that they were not doing Hobie sails anymore due to some problems and had to replace a couple sets of sails.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would like to know how you all actually setting up to clean your sails?

I did not have to do this before. If I have them stuck in the mud I would come home, set the boat up, hoist the sails and rinse them with water. I'm afraid to put them on the driveway because I don't want them to be scratched. I don't want to put them on grass because I think I can get green stains on. If I really need to brush something, I would use our house wooden (polished, no splinters) deck where I roll sail out.

As time goes, I think I would like to rub a few spots, but not sure of the best place where to put that big main sail...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have done it two ways so far-

In the driveway on two layers of poly sheeting used to cushion and protect it from grit, scratches and driveway dirt. I use a hose, scrub brush, and sponges.

Now I am doing some intense cleaning and de-rusting of some recently acquired older sails. I am using a big (4' X 7') laminate covered adjustable height work table in my shop. I am working across the table and am rolling the sail onto a section of pvc pipe as each set of panels is washed and allowed to dry. Then I work on the next panel or two. It is a slow process waiting for the sail to dry but it avoids any chance of mildew and allows me to work on each panel without any cleaning solution, water, or dirt getting on the already cleaned panels.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

aschaffter wrote:

Has anyone followed up on the cleaning and restoring services provided by Sail Care? The last I read was that they were not doing Hobie sails anymore due to some problems and had to replace a couple sets of sails.

Update- I just got an email back from Sail Care. They are still not taking Hobie sails- batten pocket problems.

'86 H16, Sail #89057

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

geez I am old!! My first H16 had a sail# 17424. It was only five yrs old at that time!