Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 15?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Crew capacity of 2-5, more than H16. Weight is 350 lbs. No boom on mainsail.

Hull design is similar to Getaway. Looks like a scaled down Getaway!? Looks more single-handed than Getaway...

Not in the US sales. Slow boat though?

Anyone had any experience with it?!!!

http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/?produits,hobie_15

Franz G drives a 15 nicely --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVanWnKk ... re=related

...but I notice mmiller a year ago in response to 15 question posted: "That is a Hobie Europe product, so maybe the euro website? We don't sell them in the Americas."

Post subject: Hobie 15
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As posted about a year ago, I've sailed a H15 in Antigua.
Sure, it is a high volume hull, designed for 4 adults, boomless, furling jib, but it does handle well. Designed as a basic or training cat, similar in a way to a Getaway, also with skeg keels. My wife and I liked it.

We particularly liked the the cross bars were virtually flush with the decks.

No, it's not a race boat, but it is zippy. Likely very expensive (duties and freight) to bring into North America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, thanks, John.

Was about to buy a ticket to Europe and demo one. Ah, maybe not...

Been looking at the three boats: the FX, the Getaway, and the 16.

I love the pics here of Karl's FX. Amazing. Looks like it has rocket tubes for hulls.

The Getaway looks like a sensible choice and the price is right, but it looks BIG.

Have had some occasional experience in the distant past with H14 or H16, not sure which. The 16 doesn't interest me, but not sure why entirely.

My brother had the boat here in NC and then in FL 20 years or so ago. I sailed it little.

I asked my youngest, biggest brother about it the other day. He said. "Yeah, don't you remember, we used to THROW that boat out over the surf to get into the ocean?" He's 6'4" and I'm a little smaller.

I don't remember doing that, but I did grab my aching back when he said it.

At any rate, that boat was OK. Mostly remember thinking that it was fast tramp that we were riding on.

This kind of stunt shakes my confidence in the 16:

http://sailinglove.com/hobie-15-nosedive.html

It says 15, but it's a 16. Is that a stunt? I swear it looks staged.

At any rate, low and behold the Hobie 15 looked like a best choice for tidal water sailing, stable family sailing, non-nose diving, most of the time single-handed sailing fun.

But it ain't here, it's over there.

So, thanks for the feedback. Still looking.

I will add that my experience sailing was primarily on an old Windmill, a 15' wooden hull, with a centerboard that seemed about as long as the first wooden surfboards. I got fingers pinched many times trying to raise and lower that blasted centerboard. Especially when we rammed the convenient sandbar. Nothing more fun than pivoting a boat atop a sandbar when trying to raise the jammed centerboard.

Post subject: Hobie 15
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Nosedive video was shot in Sveeeden, and is clearly a H16, look at the boom. 16's are 'tender' in that way, and we have enjoyed many swims due to our inability to move to rear of the boat quickly enough. If you want a more stable boat, take the Getaway, but be warned, it is heavy at around 400 lbs. If you want performance, get a H16 or FX. We love our H18, as it seems to offer the best of all worlds. This year, I WILL mount the wings. That was the whole idea why we bought it.

Last summer, we were offered a ride on an H20 in gusty conditions, and I turned it down, as I know how easy it is to capsize at my level of skill. There has to be a reasonable compromise between fun and being crazy. Pick which one you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I checked out that EU site and kinda like that Pacific. Easy and big.

I have been on Karl's FX WITH Karl, and it moved pretty good with two of us on it, you gotta figure me at 200 and karl at a girlish 155, plus the 6 pack I was drinking. This was a night sail we went on, and the boat flew a hull with both of us out on the wing in 12 mph wind and pitch black night.

Now, on the other hand, the 16 is totally kick ass for beach sailing, especially in surf (I got to do that for the first time last week!) and you can actually afford one of those with out cashing a 401k to do it.

I personally like the 14 and think it should be a law that everyone out there, regardless of boat preference, should also own a 14.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
and karl at a girlish 155

Oh snap! CW got some atti-tude! Sheesh. Go to bed geezer :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GEEZER? I guess you're right. I mean, I am 41. Say Mr. 26 year old......just what are you doing home on a friday night surfing the net?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dude! I have no friends, you know this. But I am going to the Blue Man Concert tomorrow night. Its either going to be really cool, or like a perverted sex act involving a chicken, a roll of duct tape, and a bottle of Robitussin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get right in their face and make smurf jokes, they love that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll keep that in mind......[img]http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/cookoo[1].gif[/img]

JJ- buy an FXone. No joke, its awesome