Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Fox Info
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've sailed Hobies since 1970. I raced for a few years but now enjoy daysailing with friends. I'm thinking about trying one of the new French boats; the Tiger or Fox. These boats are hard to come by in the desert and I'd like to demo these boats before I splurge.

What are some thoughts on these boats? There are a few Tiger fleets out there but there appears to be few Foxes. Are they substantially different? Do they handle the same? Will they be suited for inexperienced crews to handle? Is set up similar to the 16 and 18?

Are they that much faster than the standard Hobies?

How is beach handling with daggerboards?

Thanks in advance!
Garland
Gilbert, AZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had a Fox for little over 2 years..its a great ride .....one reason you dont see many in the states is the I-20....its a more established boat .and the US version of the I-20 has a larger main and a carbon mast....where as the Fox is built in France and complys to the F-20 formula class rules....its sailed more in europe...now if you wanna take a ride on mine come on down....I live in the US Virgin islands......unfortunately for me I never could find crew for my boat...so it sits covered up :( I'll make you a really good deal on it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a fleet of Hobie Fox's in Southern California who show up to most of the regattas in Division 2. If you're interested in seeing one or maybe getting a ride on one this may be your best bet. Here's a link to the Division 2 website: http://www.hobiedivision2.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

finally have been able to get out on the Fox fro the last couple weeks..took a guy that is a very good mono sailor and tachtition..he sugested that I open the slot on the jib to the farthest point,.,,not real sure I like that idea...last year Mark Murray drove the Fox and I crewed in out regatta and he set the slot at about a foot.....what are your thoughts on this..our usual conditions are 15-20 breeze and 2-4 ft sea.....thanks Harper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My thoughts:

Bring the slot in as close as possible to the main before you start backwinding the luff of the main.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

well thats what I was thinkin...actually it sails quite well without a jib...had to get some repairs on the jib and took it out and did really well....even with 450lbs onboard..... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In up to about 15 knots we have the jib traveled out to the hiking strap and once it gets over 15 we set the traveler about 2 traveler car widths away from the hiking strap to open up the slot a bit more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok.I'll give it a try and see what happens.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are a number of Foxes here in So Cal. All the people that have them really like them. They sail really nice. A couple of them are raced but one guy has one at KHYC and uses it for pleasure sailing and loves the boat. He can go out by himself with just the main or take the whole family with main, jib and spinnaker.

I happen to know of one that is in really great shape and being sold for a very reasonable price - I think is it $8,500. If interested contact Chuck at [email protected]. Used Tiger's are going for $10,000+. One just sold last week for $10,500.

If you want to see the Fox I think he will be at the Alter Cup Trials in Long Beach this weekend. Launching will be at the Claremont St, Beachcat launching area on Ocean Blvd.