Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

July 7, 2004

Dear Mr. Alter,

A day of sadness and mourning has come to our family today. After 30+ years of owning and sailing Hobie Catamarans, my father, 86 years old, sold his Hobie Miracle 20. I must say that it was not without a tear or two. An era has ended, but lots of great memories live on. It was back in the mid 70’s he started me out with a Hobie 14 (he wanted a Catalina 22, boring!). After getting the feel of the boat he soon moved up to the much faster Hobie 16. Then in 1978 when he saw the first Hobie 18 leave him in the dust it was on to the bigger and faster. First, get the 18(#1204), then worry about selling the 14 and 16 later! From there it was many happy years of family sailing on the 18. Kids, grandkids, cousins, friends and neighbors. Lake Powell monsoons, San Diego Harbor and Mission Bay week long vacations, each year with the Hobie in tow. By the mid 90’s it was on to the Hobie Miracle 20 on Deer Creek Reservoir, Utah Lake and Lake Powell. A lot of boat for an 80 year old! And some great sailing too! One cannot put a price on the feeling of flying the hull with your dad on the helm, teetering on the brink of the “Point of no return”. No one can ever replace the memories, the fun, the excitement or the joy felt. Thank you Hobie Alter, you took a lonely 16 year old boy, who had very little in common with his 55+ year ‘old man’, to manhood and fatherhood, with his father at the helm. My kids are now crewing the old Hobie 18 (#1204), with a ‘Hobie Bob’ atop the mast, she never will turtle again! They too, love the feel of flying high! And maybe there is one more ride for the ‘old man’ and his son, this week or next. Just look for two grey, thin haired men teetering on the brink of the “Point of no return”!

Thank you again, Hobie Alter!

Warmest Regards,

Steven Lisonbee

Post subject: Very nicely done Steve
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As one Steve to another I have to say that your letter really represents a lot of families and our experiences with Hobies. I hope the heck that I am still ripping it up till I'm 86. You're right "One cannot put a price on the feeling of flying the hull with your dad on the helm, teetering on the brink of the “Point of no return”. No one can ever replace the memories, the fun, the excitement or the joy felt. "

Thanks for the memories and the shared feelings. :D