Division 8 Regattas- 2014
For those that don’t know, below is a few multiple day regattas that typically have there own Hobie 16 start, and other separate starts if class numbers are there. Tradewinds Regatta - January 18-20
- This is a three day regatta over Martin Luther King Holiday weekend. This is an annual regatta that takes place on Islamorada in the Florida Keys. NOR: http://www.catsailor.com/Tradewinds.html Charlotte Harbor Regatta - February 6-9
- This is the 5th year for this regatta and typically has a class of Hobie 16s and Hobie Waves compete in their own classes. This has been the only HCA points regatta in Division 8 over the last couple of years. This was also an event with three days of racing. NOR: http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com/ Gulfport Yacht Club - April 25-27
- This was the annual Multi-hull regatta for this club in Gulfport/St. Petersburg Florida. This is also the home yacht club of Hobie Fleet 5, which was reactivated in mid-2012. This has a good field of Hobie 16’s. Information about GYC and the NOR can be found on their website: http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/ Kelly Park River Regatta - May 24-25
- This is a Multi-hull regatta with its own Hobie 16 fleet and takes place over Memorial Day Weekend. The location is Kelly Park which is located on the inter coastal waters. The host yacht club is the Indian River Yacht Club, and the NOR can be found on their website at: http://www.iryc.org/ Summer Sizzler Daytona Beach - June
- This two day event was hosted by Daytona Cat Sailors Fleet 80 Club and has Hobie 16s participate. Information can be found at http://www.fleet80.com/ Wildcat Regatta Lake Eustis - Oct -
This two day event was hosted by the Lake Eustis Sailing Center and has Hobie 16s participate. In addition to the Hobie 16s there is an open class that saw 4 Hobie wave and 2 Gettaways compete last year. Information will be available at: http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org/
Other Hobie Sailing Activities - In addition to the above multiple-day regattas, the following also must be mentioned regarding Hobie Sailing in Florida.Gulfport Yacht Club Club Race Series
- This yacht club is Gulfport/St.Petersburg Florida hosts a Saturday Club race twice a month on the first and third Saturday. This typically involves 2-4 buoy races. Typically it starts with one open Portsmouth class which is most A-Cats and Hobie 16s. After the first start, the following races go off separately for the A-class and Hobie 16 class as necessary. These races are a great way to keep your sailing skills in shape, and to get out for a day of competitive buoy racing. Gulfport Yacht Club is also home to Hobie Fleet 5. See the clubs website for schedule and more details. http://www.gulfportyachtclub.com/ Hobie Fleet 44 Sundays at the Beach
- Sailing right off of Fort Lauderdale beach, on any given Sunday you can find members of Hobie Fleet 44 sailing on the beach and having an impromptu race around a freighter or other landmark offshore. In addition, the Fleet holds an annual Commodore Cup race every December. Fleet 44 was host to the 2011 Mid-Winters East HCA Regatta. Fort Lauderdale beach also allows for mast-up storage on the beach by permit. See the club on Facebook at Cat44.
Hope to see you there.
Division 8 Chair