Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello gang,
I've been trying to figure out a way to prevent the rod tubes from filling with water in case of emergency, yet remain usable. What I came up with is essentially a smaller diameter pool noodle. It is called Frost King foam pipe insulation and can be found at Lowes. I had intended to use item #21416 ($1.94 for a 6' length) a more dense closed cell foam which was sold out. I ended up buying item #24434 (according to my receipt) which is less dense like a pool noodle and cost $0.88 for 6'. When cut in 3' sections they will run the full length of the tube and the wall thickness still allows me to use the rod storage tubes as intended ( the line guides on my rod still fit within the tube).
I've also ordered 2" diameter foam balls to plug the storage tubes while on extended trips. I'll post more on that when I've received and tried them. I'll share my concerns with you regarding the "tube noodles":
1) The ability to insert the full 3' length into the tube (shouldn't be much of an issue)
2) I don't know the shelf life of the material when exposed to the elements. Will it melt and adhere to the inside of the storage tubes or just become particulate matter. Removal may become a tedious task.
I'm going to go ahead and follow through with the "plan" because I like knowing the amount of water that can enter the storage tubes will be limited and also increase the buoyancy factor towards the bow. This is a precautionary measure for my 3 week solo trip to the north shore of Lake Superior.
I may be missing something, so if anyone has any insight on the idea please "post up".
GR8 LakerImage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey,
Just a quick follow up- The posted image is item #21416, the more dense foam which was sold out at my location. Pipe foam insulation is available in various wall thicknesses to accommodate rod guides. I was able to feed about 18' of material into my rod tube with no twisting or aids so I'm confident I'll be able to insert the entire 3' length. I figured it was worth experimenting with the less dense foam (item #24434) and that may be what I end up sticking with because the more dense foam is MUCH more compressible, hence, more difficult to insert a full length. Why not, for under $3.00 for all 6 tubes.

GR8 Laker

PS I can't believe I successfully posted an image! I knew I was doing it correctly other than attempting to post ones that were not "publicly accessible". I'm working on that because I have many other ideas in the works already photographed and awaiting in my iPhoto library.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think they are too small, however if Hobie produced them slightly larger...6 of the little rubber flaps that come on the aft rod holders would be very slick for the tubes without rods in them, ....hint hint :wink:

Free set to the guy that thought it up of course LOL!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cancel that, ran out and took a look, those caps, as nice as they would have been won't work because of the flare at the mouth. Maybe if it had a deeper lip??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like your thinking Troutbum, when I was thinking of solutions for this issue, my fist thought was to have a threaded cap with an O ring that could be screwed into position. The same thing that is used on larger boats for the water holding and fuel tanks. They are kept from separation by a small chain connected between the inside of the tube and the underside of the cap. I would love for Hobie to come up with something like this but then we'd have to purchase new rod storage tubes. I'd have no problem with that!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe I am are over complicating things....I wonder, if there is a way to slightly elevate the front (bow) end of the rod tubes slightly so any water that does get in there just runs out? Have to take a look tomorrow?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll give ya this much, you can't be accused of not putting some thought into it. For an extended wilderness trip I'd want all the advantages. For what I do now, it's fine as it is. I've been out in some snotty stuff and not had issues. I think the foam balls are all you need. Then, if going to that extent, I'd remove the collar and put some sealant behind it. I'm sure it's just a crude fitting that wouldn't stop water. Don't forget to carry a pump with you. Put some time into sealing the front hatch, that's an open mouth for sure. But turning that beast over won't be the easiest thing to do either. You'll fall off before you'll get it upside down.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

LOL, Ya if only I could put as much thought into important issues..... I'd be rich, we'd have world peace, no hunger and all illnesses would be cured! :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Yakkingaway, I hadn't thought of adding sealant behind the collar, I'll be sure to add that to the list! I've already purchased 6 sheets (24" X 96") of closed cell foam to better seal the hatches. They vary in thickness from 1/8th" to 1/4" and have three in neoprene and three in gymnastic rubber. I've found the neoprene to be more compressible given the surface contact so I'm leaning in that direction. I'm currently experimenting with different application techniques. When I've completed the sealing upgrades I'll be sure to practice flipping and righting, remounting and bailing techniques so I know what to expect should such an event occur. I'm still looking into manual pumps that are good quality, efficient and reliable. Any thoughts?
I'm sparing no expenses with regard to safety gear. GPS (along with hand held charts), PLB, and a couple of compasses. The mailman delivered my Katadyn Pocket Water Filter yesterday! The drysuit is a done deal (Kokatat Gore-Tex Front Entry w/ Relief Zipper). And.... many, many more!
I've got a ton of left over foam sheeting but I can use that at my woodworking bench for furniture assembly.

I know what you mean Troutbum, if I gave this much attention to other aspects of my life there'd be no worries! I guess I'm just that passionate about making this happen!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone familiar with the sizes of these or Ocean Kayak's scupper hole sizes? They look to be fairly water tight?

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0035962018117a.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take a look at this post from sifisto. He also used large red scupper plugs for the tubes. I wonder, does the red color indicate a common sizing for scupper plugs? The red ones in your post are the large size, too.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=12594

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

GR8laker u r a busy guy in this pro A project hehe, FYI u can use the lager scupper plugs a bit pricey tho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TDK beat me to it LOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For my applications, I just purchased some kid's foam ball and plugged the rod holders. I will only need the rod holders in two instances: 1. transporting the yak on the roof top, I like to carry my rods in the holders and 2. when I re-enter a high surf coming back from a trip offshore.

Here is the balls plugging the rod holders:

While on the water I carry my rod in rod holder on my milk crate basket.

However, these solutions are for my applications..........your needs seem to be far more demanding!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the tips all! I followed your ideas and browsed a number of links, none of which listed the size ranges of the Ocean kayak scupper plugs. Actually, one gave the dimensions of the green (medium) plugs which look to be too small. I believe the red (large) ones would possibly work on the PA rod storage tubes. I should be receiving the foam balls I ordered early this week and will perform a test fit. If they turn out to be insufficient, I'll be looking further into the large Ocean Kayak plugs. I found they were available in a range of prices, some fairly reasonable, and that will be the next logical step. Also, I googled "kayak scupper plugs" and found a number of home made versions on youtube which I may also look into.

Be well,
GR8 Laker