Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
At this stage I'm wondering if Currarong Caravan park might be the best base for camping?
It's ideally located to explore either the ocean or the bay and the Beecroft Peninsula and Point Perpendicular. From what I can make out there is creek access as well as a sand boat ramp to the sea.
Given the unusual camping restrictions at Honeymoon Bay and the other eastern areas of JB, plus the popularity of Greenpatch and Bristol Point this may be our best option?
Some possibilities:
A-Currarong as Base Camp and do day trips
B- Launch from Nowra and overnight at Currarong then stay and do day trips
C-Launch from Currarong and overnight at Bristol Point or Honeymoon Bay if allowed.
Any thoughts?
More info:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?rlz=1T4G ... CCoQtgMwAw

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articl ... -Currarong

PS -I can't sing a note and don't own a grass skirt and frankly the thought of any of you in a grass skirt is very unappealing! :lol: :lol:

The location looks pretty good on Google Earth. Pity we don't know someone down there who could take a couple of photos for us - looks like the creek may have shallow access to the beach. Couldn't find the sand boat ramp - although there is a photo with that title near the store but it sure didn't look like a boat ramp!! Nice grassy beachfront near store.
With Chris unable to confirm, are we still planning on the earlier dates - or are we thinking if we hang off a bit we might be doing it in a TAI :roll: If we wait till Chris knows (mid Apr), we could go mid or late May.:roll:
If we stayed in the caravan park it would provide some amenities.
Quote:
If you blokes want to be rebels and do an illegal camp then I'm up for it. There is a lot of remote beach line where any ranger would have to use a boat to get to us. OK they probably would, but lucky AI's are so well camouflaged in their 'Blend in with the Environment Yellow' and 'Now you see me, Now you don't Red'. Option A may be best but doesn't it 'P' ya off that we have this beautiful coastline and we are relegated to being crammed in between Edna's Jayco caravan and Merv's Winna-friggn-baygo.

Slaughter - agreed :wink:
PS we'll skip the floorshow :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I'm gunna get up on my soapbox soon. These camping restriction throughout this country really infuriate me. If you blokes want to be rebels and do an illegal camp then I'm up for it. There is a lot of remote beach line where any ranger would have to use a boat to get to us. OK they probably would, but lucky AI's are so well camouflaged in their 'Blend in with the Environment Yellow' and 'Now you see me, Now you don't Red'. Option A may be best but doesn't it 'P' ya off that we have this beautiful coastline and we are relegated to being crammed in between Edna's Jayco caravan and Merv's Winna-friggn-baygo.

In all fairness mate, if there was open slather on camping in national parks, all that pristine bush would be littered with food scraps, empty beer cans, campfire ashes and the emptyings from camp toilets, plus all the underbrush would be destroyed in the relentless search for firewood and places to pitch tents. The rules are for the irresponsible campers, not the responsible ones. (Spoken by someone who has solved the camping restriction problem :wink: ).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with you Slaughter but Chris does have a point.
However even Chris's innovative solution would not apply to the Beecroft Peninsula weekday restrictions. Friendly fire might put a damper on our trip! :shock:
If we could find a secluded beach out of the defense zone I don't have a problem with sleeping on the beach. If you're allowed day/picnic access and you only sleep on the sand I can't see a problem.
Chris's solution is only legal if he stays moored off the beach.
I am going to have to go the Hennesey route I think as well, though I don't think it will be ready for this trip. That's one of the reasons I suggested a base camp.

Last edited by stringy on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Slaughter wrote:
I'm gunna get up on my soapbox soon. These camping restriction throughout this country really infuriate me. If you blokes want to be rebels and do an illegal camp then I'm up for it. There is a lot of remote beach line where any ranger would have to use a boat to get to us. OK they probably would, but lucky AI's are so well camouflaged in their 'Blend in with the Environment Yellow' and 'Now you see me, Now you don't Red'. Option A may be best but doesn't it 'P' ya off that we have this beautiful coastline and we are relegated to being crammed in between Edna's Jayco caravan and Merv's Winna-friggn-baygo.

In all fairness mate, if there was open slather on camping in national parks, all that pristine bush would be littered with food scraps, empty beer cans, campfire ashes and the emptyings from camp toilets, plus all the underbrush would be destroyed in the relentless search for firewood and places to pitch tents. The rules are for the irresponsible campers, not the responsible ones. (Spoken by someone who has solved the camping restriction problem :wink: ).

Is that the answer then - we all get a hobie hennessey hammock rig and boat "camp" :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Is that the answer then - we all get a hobie hennessey hammock rig and boat "camp" :roll:

I'd be able to test my new pink anchor! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
I agree with you Slaughter but Chris does have a point.
However even Chris's innovative solution would not apply to the Beecroft Peninsula weekday restrictions. Friendly fire might put a damper on our trip! :shock:
If we could find a secluded beach out of the defense zone I don't have a problem with sleeping on the beach. Chris's solution is only legal if he stays moored off the beach.
I am going to have to go the Hennesey route I think as well, though I don't think it will be ready for this trip. That's one of the reasons I suggested a base camp.

Hey Slaughter - your pretty handy. Do ya reckon you could knock up a rig for yourself, Stringy and me in time :roll:
Actually, I think I would need the heavy duty version to take my weight :roll:
I certainly think that a remote beach inaccessible by road and with sufficient cover to not draw attention, would be a viable and preferred camping option. However I think we would probably be looking at a one night stay in this scenario - so we could be setting up and striking camp a few times.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
mickeymouse wrote:

I'd be able to test my new pink anchor! :wink:

and I'd have a reason to get one :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
I've just been looking at the Hennesey Website. Could you cast your expert eye over the models and tell us what we should be ordering? I wonder if we could save a bit on postage with a multiple order?

Mickey,
My anchor arrived within a couple of days of ordering. I was impressed, although the postie had jammed it in my letterbox! :shock:

I just checked and it looks like an order of 3 is the same postage ($60) as 1, so a multiple order is good value! :)

Last edited by stringy on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is the one I'm going for

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

If you're shorter than 6' you can go the 'Expedition' model but the A-SYM is a must if you are a side sleeper as you can lay flat. I've already made my supports and fittings ( copied Chris ) .
That creek just north of Honeymoon Bay is a hideaway and has a bit of sand in it. May be a bit small for 4 AI's though. I would love to camp up the eastern end of Murrays Beach near Bowen Island though.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Chris,
I've just been looking at the Hennesey Website. Could you cast your expert eye over the models and tell us what we should be ordering? I wonder if we could save a bit on postage with a multiple order?

Mickey,
My anchor arrived within a couple of days of ordering. I was impressed, although the postie had jammed it in my letterbox! :shock:

I just checked and it looks like an order of 3 is the same postage ($60) as 1, so a multiple order is good value! :)

Stringy - that would be a very worthwhile saving, if we can work out how to do it :roll: Any suggestions....
I have a PayPal account and I think I can pay money into anyone else's account if they have one. Vice versa will work also :wink: Slaughter what do you think :roll: I guess we all have to get the same model. Personally speaking, I'm happy to go along with whatever you guys want but it sounds like Slaughter has got good reasons for choosing the one he has.

I really don't think we would encounter any problems if we did some discreet camping with our AIs suitably camouflaged or better still, out of sight from a passing boat :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just remembered, Chris mentioned something about a warm base for the hammock. I think I'd probably need to get it also. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys - I've checked out the Hennessy site and your eBay one Slaughter.
Looking at the Explorer Deluxe A-Sym, there isn't a great deal of difference in price between ordering it from the company homesite compared to eBay reseller. If we bought 3 and divided the postage, it would work out to AU 238.76 each.
Doesn't look like they have PayPal - although I haven't gone through the entire pay process yet so you never know..

On that basis, I'm ready when you are to proceed when you are..............We also need to look at the hammock base issue.
Is there anything else ?.....Fly :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got back from the catamaran races (we won!). Hmm, a hammock frenzy. I gotta warn you, the undercover costs as much again as the hammock, but would be essential on the South Coast in May.

Stringy, you're about my dimensions, so I can definitely recommend the Expedition Asym.

Slaughter, you're taller, but probably not as heavy. The Expedition would do the job, but I'm not sure if you would feel you had enough leg room. How far north are you of 6 foot?

Mickey, you're taller and more errr muscular than the rest of us, so I suspect you would need the next model up. I'm not sure if my current design for the poles is strong enough for you, but my earlier design, incorporating two boat hooks, almost certainly is.

Stringy and Slaughter, perhaps we should meet sometime and you can try my setup and see if it's OK for you. We could make a sailing day of it :).

Another thought, I was originally going to take my wife to Jervis Bay. We were going to stay at some cottages in Hyam's Beach (opposite the boat ramp) and I was planning to keep the boat around the back of the cottages at night. I just mention it as another alternative to camping.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're right about the base Stringy and the prices Mickey. As Chris says, I'm sure the base is a must, otherwise the cold coming from underneath is unbearable ( YouTube comments, plenty of clips ). Because of the doubling of cost, I would like to try a couple of my own other methods before buying the base. I will get onto Hennessy and get a price for 3 with and without bases. I have a PayPal account and can buy the 3 if they take payment that way. I've also heard that delivery from Hennessy is unbelievably quick. Congrats on the big win Chris. Another outing, I'm up for that. Do you blokes want to come up this way again for the day. Could sail out from Myuna Bay and over to Pulbah Island and down south. I haven't been south of Pulbah myself although I think you have haven't you Chris ? If so we could go out through the channel, under Swansea bridge and out around Moon Island. ( I've got a taste for the open ocean now )

P.S. Have you blokes noticed how much my spelling has improved. Amazing when you try a bit harder. :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

Last edited by Slaughter on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris - funny that you mention you were planning on taking your wife.
Mine is quite interested in coming too - but only if the two boys come as well (poodle and foxy).
I have looked at
http://www.currarongwaterfront.com.au/page3.php
http://www.jervisbaycaravanpark.com.au/ ... 00910.html
plus researching the possibility of using my caravan/houseboat in the Shoalhaven or ???
The cabin/lodge/house concept may not be too pricey if there were enough of us.
I think one place I looked at could accommodate 12 :shock:
Gotta go - more later :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next