Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trapeze Harness Mod
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

has anyone ever modified an older Trapeze Harness? I inherited two older ones with my new-used 18, but the guy I bought the boat from stood 5' tall and weighed 130 pounds soaking wet. I, on the other hand, am 5'9", 220 lbs. Needless to say, the harnesses don't fit me. They're the old style diapers with crotch straps and shoulder straps that go from mid-back over the shoulders and hook onto the trap hook.

I can get the diaper on, but the shoulder straps are about 10 inches too short to reach the trap hook. Has anyone ever attempted to lengthen these straps, or even used a short length of line to bridge the gap between the end of the strap and the hook?

Also, I've never used a trap rig before (no trap on the 14). About where should the trapeze hook sit on you? Bellybutton height? Belt Buckle height?

I don't mind buying a new harness if I have to, but if I can make these work then I can spend the $150 on other boat parts :D Any help/insight would be appreciated. Thanks guys (and gals)

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:idea: Easy as pie and you mentioned both ways to do it.

I would opt for the added webbing way. If you have a sewing machine or someone with one. Use upholstry tread with a denim or leather needle. I have made my own harnesses using a regular machine. That include up to 6 layers of material in some places with overlap. Nylon inter piece for comfort, Canvas for strength then a butt padding of vinyl for durability there.

Another strap idea that may be easier to impliment. Pete Melvin likes to have line go from right shoulder strap through a block on the hook buckle then to left shoulder strap. He says that it allows more freedom to move. He ties the to grommets in each shoulder strap.

I actually prefer my harnesses to any that are on the market as they are the most comfortable. There are no adjusting straps to get caught on anything. They are kind of custom fit though. One for me and one for Eileen. I make a wide spreader bar from aluminum and mount the standard harness hooks to the back of that. The harness is fairly light compared to the new ones.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the other hand I can't imagine that the through-the-crotch style is comfortable at all. :o

Maybe use them while you're saving for some new ones. :lol:

Jim

Post subject: Harness
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go with Jaime in the Desert - go for crotchless, and save your 'family jewels.' Mine is a full harness, ex Murray Marine, with a spreader bar, a birthday gift from my lovely wife. Go eBay, buy from a retailer, make your own, but make it easy on yourself, so you can ENJOY!