Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey guys, this is just sort of an "FYI" for ya:

The grip tape on my H16's side rails has been peeling and I've been planning to replace it with something, but I didn't get around to it until yesterday. The other day I was at Home Depot and I found a quart paint can with sort of a latex/rubber paint with sand in it. Or at least that what it seems like.

I started yesterday evening and I continued today. Peeled off the old grip tape, and used acetone & paper towels to remove a lot of the sticky stuff from the tape. I've now put three coats of the stuff on the port side rail and one coat on the starboard side. I'll get one more coat on the starboard side tonight and put a final coat on that side tomorrow afternoon before we leave for Ft. Worth & Cowtown cats.

Anyway, I'm just letting you know what I've tried in case y'all are in similar shoes. Not sure how this stuff will hold up but I'll tell you how it performs this weekend. :)

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Jimbo!!

I used that stuff on my aluminum pool deck. I peeled off the indoor/outdoor carpet (what a stupid idea, putting "carpet" next to a pool, it NEVER dries out- don't know why I did it :roll: ) and I put the non-skid down. It is EXCELLENT so far. I didn't take time to clean up the old glue the way you did and it is holding up very well. It gets all sorts of foot traffic, barefoot and with shoes, kids ramming around, patio furniture being dragged back and forth etc. If an area gets damaged I will just paint it over again. Good luck with it.

Following your adventures through the forum I am glad to see you've been having a good time 8)

At the first sign of storm, WE SAIL :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey, Jim. Could you post a picture of the rails once you have them painted? Will the paint + sand be too abrasive? I have to be mindful of my first mate's bikini bottoms. :)

Post subject: Side rail slippage
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Best stuff is the hard neoprene we have. Great non skid. Soft on Bikini bottoms too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I peeled the masking tape off last night right before bed. Looks pretty good, still need to put one more coat on the starboard rail, but I'll just do that in the center away from the edges.

One note: On the port rail the edges are "coming up" a bit already because I put 3 coats on and then removed the masking tape. The stuff is elastic enough that the tape sort of pulled up the paint as well. On the starboard rail I pulled up the masking tape immediately after applying the second coat, so only the bottom coat was dry. This worked much better. I reccomend that if y'all go this route. A can is like, $7. I'll post pictures when I can, but right now I can't find the data cable for the camera->computer connection. (Been moving.)

It is, a bit abrasive, but that was the idea. I can see where it might wear on one's bottom a bit, though. I go for the best I can afford at the time. Neoprene might be in the future, but not *this* iteration, unfortunately.. ;) I was going to put indoor-outdoor carpet but I couldn't find any in white.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just tried the neoprene this week, and I have to say I love it compared to carpet or rubber. It dries quick has a nice grip. The review from the bikini bottoms are not out yet... The water is still below 50.

The neoprene was $42.00

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with matt, the neoprene is great, much better than the carpet. Still interested to see what $7 will do compared to $42+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hm. Well y'all are going to be disappointed. The non-slip *is* great... briefly. Under wet load it started to peel off. After two days of racing (6 races total) about 30% of the stuff has come off already. I don't anticipate the rest to last much longer.

I'll keep the neoprene higher in my mind now. :)

Matt, does it come in white?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mentioned earlier here that I used the same paint on my aluminum pool deck that Jim used on his side rails. WELLL.... :oops: I powerwashed my non-skid painted deck Sunday and patches of the paint peeled away here and there - probably it peeled in the areas where I didn't prep properly. :roll:

So- yepper Jim, back to the neoprene, it's really good stuff. 8)

Post subject: non-skid
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have used non-skid paint from west marine which sounds like what u used for seven dollars, however i payed much more. from what i have heard the grit in the paint is ground up walnut shells. but i used the nonskid on the bottom of my skiff that i use all year long and loved it in the summer when everyone getting on the boat was barefoot, however when winter came and i started wearing waders i noticed the nonskid peeling up in areas of high trafic onboard the boat, that year i simply repainted with what paint i had left over. it has now been about three years since i first put the non-skid on and there are not many places where the paint is still good except on the sides of the seat where the only good it does is scratching up your legs, so i can imagine that it wouldn't do verry well on the side of a hobie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

you know...if cheapness is at question, ive actually seen some guys use linoleum on the side of their hobies....just dont like the hairy green monsters on the side of a black tramp :x

meanwhile, I've used rubber sealing that you put around door and window frames to provide some grip on the side rails. This stuff is abt 7$ at ur local hardware store (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN ... 0&MID=9876), and just pitch in another couple of bucks for some good industrial grade adhesive.

All you do is cut the damn things into abt 3 or 4 strips of abt 4 ft long(or whatever the tramp length is), and just stick it on successively, in rows. I use another set of rows (abt a foot) on the hull, just behind the tramp, so that i have some grip when the boat is pitching into the water a bit.

I like this stuff because i sail barefoot, and it gives a pretty good connection with my foot...Some brands of teh stuff do get a bit slippery...but the ones we get down here are alright:)

otherwise...neoprene is by far the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

Has anyone used any of this stuff? Looks to be tough as nails. Used on tug boats and truck bed liners.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

That stuff is too abrasive. It'll wear through expensive wetsuits, trap harnesses and the skin on your butt.

The perfect sidebar non-slip is a balance between grip and comfort.

I use Home Depot mat runner. Its got a rubber backing that sticks well with contact cement and a very short nap on the face. An 8' long piece is long enough to do two boats (4 - 6" wide strips) and costs $15. The glue costs more than the carpet.

Post subject: Adhesive
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt, I like the idea of the Home Depot mat runners. I think I’m going to check it out today on my way home from work. I just had a quick question about what kind of adhesive you guys use to glue the neoprene or mat runners to the rail.

Thanks in advance for all the great advice.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

While you're at Home Depot, pick up a small can of contact cement (the real stuff, not the "odorless" kind).

Put two coats on each surface and let it dry according to the instructions.

There's a reason they call it "contact" cement - once the two surfaces touch each other, there's no repositioning, so you have to get it right the first time.