Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro angler hatch leak
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The pro angler has been receiving a lot of criticism on the Australian kayak fishing forum(AKFF.net) due to the front hatch not being adequately watertight.

Is hobie aware of this. If so does hobie intend on creating a fix/changing the design.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:34 am 
Site Admin

We are aware. The hatch is intended to shed water, not seal to "water tight" if submerged. That is a very difficult thing to achieve with access this large. There are a number of upgrade options out there for those who want to use the boat in blue-water-over-the-bow conditions. One is a foam liner in the lid. Another is additional straps and buckles. We will continue to strive for better sealing and maintain the ease of access.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, what thickness of closed cell foam is the best to insulate the forward hatch of the PA?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

I don't have any specs on this idea. I think 1/4" was used by some guys.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

1/4" thick foam works fine sealed around the hatch, tested it on the water in rough stuff...it did the job well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I assume 1/4" is the thickness (height) of the foam when applied flat. What width? 1/2"?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bartmandude wrote:
I assume 1/4" is the thickness (height) of the foam when applied flat. What width? 1/2"?

Bartman,

I haven't applied the foam to the inside of my forward hatch yet. I plan to cover the whole hatch to provide more insulation for when I use the hatch as an ice chest.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone share where they found the foam, and what it's brand/model is? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm thinking of using polyethylene foam. It's closed cell foam that is durable, insulating and good for use in wet contiditions. You can buy it in sheets in a variety of thicknesses and weights. This site -- http://www.closedcellfoams.com/polyethylene.html -- has a 54" x 24" sheet of 1/4" thick, 1.7 lb density foam for $7.00. The 2.2 lb density is $9.00. I don't know which weight would be best for sealing the front hatch -- you want it to compress enough to allow the hatch to close well, but not so much that you don't get a good seal. The distributor might be able to help, but it's not that expensive so buying a couple of weights to try wouldn't break the bank. Plus, it can be used for lots of other applications to protect items from damage during storage or shipping. I'll probably cut a paper template of the inside of the hatch first to determine the right size and then use the template to cut the foam to the right shape. I'd probably use some good double sided tape to adhere it to the hatch cover. I figure the tape will be easier to remove than spray adhesive if the foam needs future replacement, but I'm not sure if it will hold up well to moisture and heat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Home depo sells it in rolls, it's only a few bucks. Look where the window insulation is. I think it's 1" wide.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone got a pic of how they sealed their hatch.

I have done mine but not entirely happy with it. It is staying dry but opening and closing the hatch is not as smooth as originally.

Also, I am thinking of putting two pad eyes on each side of the hatch and running a strap with a buckle clip.

added on 3/31/10: well it has been an month since I posted asking for pics, so I assume they are not coming,
Thanks anyway............I got mine sealed, I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mythman,
I'll try and post a couple of pics in the next few days. I used 3/8" closed cell and 1 1/2" trim-seal from Moore Industrial Hardware Item # 7100-1/16-C (10 feet does both hatches).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, I look forward to the pics. I did mine one way and although sealed it made the hatch hard to open and close. Then I put it on top and it seems to seal. I never find any dampness in the hatch bin........but I do seem to get about 1 cup of water inside the hull someway. I got a little water coming in somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok Mythman et al., here's forward hatch. You can see difference between factory trim-seal and 1 1/2" trim-seal in foreground.

Here's forward hatch with closed cell foam installed.

Here's center hatch cover with closed cell foam. I haven't had time to trim bolts I used to raise cutting board.

Center hatch with new trim-seal.

Center hatch with tray inserted. It seals really well.

This is how I use bungies on forward hatch. More secure and better seal when x-crossed like this.

Large red scupper plugs in rod holders.

I hope this helps you out a little bit.
Oh bye the way, GR8 Laker... Sounds like you've got quite a trip planned. Watch out for old Gitchee-Goomee. Old girlfriend's brother was captain of the Edmond Fitzgerald, and just by chance... missed that one voyage... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the excellent post Halibut Hunter, very well documented and you do nice clean work! I happen to be a tad bit compulsive, so that aspect of workmanship will be of importance to me. I hate to bother you any further but may I ask what you used to adhere the closed cell foam to the underside of both hatches? I was considering double sided tape or 3M spray mount. I'm wary of using something that may react with the polyethelene.
You can count on me keeping an eye out for Old Gittchee Goomee. The trip is scheduled for late July and I'll be armed with a weather radio. If I have any doubts about the skies, I'll be staying put in camp! I've become familiar with the area over the last five years while cruising a 40' Eastbay with the family. We go during the same time period (July-Aug) and the weather during that time of the year is quite stable with the exception of a few storms. This year, I decided, will be me and my PA, tucked away in small inlets/anchorages sheltered from the winds and high seas. Thanks for sharing your solutions/upgrades, they'll go a long way in giving me peace of mind.

GR8 Laker