Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mirage classic?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Being offered a used mirage classic. Just wanted to get some info about them.

What years were they made? Any known problems with them? What are they worth in good condition? anything else I should know? Thanks in advance.

TC

Post subject: Re: mirage classic?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Classic is a great little boat. This was Hobie's original Mirage kayak before it was renamed years later. I think they were built from late 1997 until 2006.

The earliest version was fiberglass. Tthere are a few of these still around and some folks consider them collectors boats. The current rotomolding manufacturing process was begun in about 1999 I think. there were some technical improvements over the years but the basic layout stayed about the same until the '06 models, which got some nice cockpit improvements and the ability to use a standard Hobie scupper cart.

They are (almost) the only Hobie Mirage that lacks the ability to use a sail. None of them had the Twist N stow rudder. But they are fun, lightweight and quick for their size, especially with Turbofins.

The year model is shown in the last two digits of the serial # (hand inscribed near the stern somewhere on the bottom of the hull). Price should be commensurate with condition. Look at the condition of the bottom of the hull for a good guideline. Determine of the boat was stored inside or outside. Look at the Drive and operate it with your hands. Almost all parts are still available. The complete boat would include seat, operating rudder, Mirage Drive, drivewell plug (used for paddling) and paddle.

Good luck! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A friend of mine gave me a Hobie kayak. Its light blue sit on top and it says mirage on it. But I cant find any info on it anywhere or pictures. Its missing the rutter and the mirage drive. Does anywhere sell these used? I live in Indiana and if anyone knows where I can take this to get fixed I appreciate it. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John,

you should be able to rebuild everything back up starting from the bare hull.

All you need to do is to download the parts & accessories catalogue & toddle into your friendly neighbourhood Hobie dealer with that & your credit card.

It would help if you took your boat with you but if that's not possible then at least some detailed photos of the boat i.e.
    the drivewell,
    the rudder & tiller arrangements that are still in place on your boat if any (e.g. the stern of the boat, the tiller handle or the place where it should be, the rudder-lifting handle or the place where that should be),
    some photos of the inside of the boat especially the inside of the drivewell & cambolts and any rudder cables/internal tiller & rudder-lift handle fittings.
    Plus the serial number (if you rub it over with some dark powder - fine mud will do - it will be a lot easier to read)

If I were you, though, I would be doing a thorough leak test & damage inspection before spending any money - buying the parts can prove expensive, especially the mirage drive - and it would be a shame to waste the money on a hull that doesn't hold water/has cracked cambolts or W.H.Y.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for getting back with me I really appreciate it. I took the kayak out today in the water for about 2 hours paddling it around staying close to shore. Their wasn't a drop in it everything was dry. My neighbor down the street gave me 2 of those drive things you said that you peddle for $200. He said try them out and if I didn't like them just bring them back. I took the boat back out but without a rudder didn't go to straight. Im taking the boat to a dealer in Louisville Ky tomorrow and see if they can help me. I called and theirs a guy there who also said what you said bring the boat in so he can see it. I got the cables sticking out the holes and a silver handle like thing I don't know what it is on the back top where I think supposed to hook up to the rudder. Ill let you know how it turns out at the kayak place. Those drive things are expensive. Ill probably sell one and keep one I guess. Maybe sell both if its going to cost too much to fix. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:25 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

john434 wrote:
A friend of mine gave me a Hobie kayak. Its light blue sit on top and it says mirage on it. But I cant find any info on it anywhere or pictures. Its missing the rutter and the mirage drive.
It sounds like you may have a Hobie "Mirage" (later renamed Classic) or an Aspire (essentially a Mirage without the Drive or rudder -- they could be optionally added later). These boats were about 12' 7" long x 30" wide and made between 1997 and 2006 (with a couple of rare exceptions). You can view one by googling "Hobie Mirage Classic". The Serial number should be engraved on the rear hull bottom -- It will give you the year and model info. You can decode it using the FAQ section here.

Great little boat, but not worth the cost of purchasing a rudder system and Drive at today's prices IMO -- I would just enjoy it as a paddling craft. You can buy a good used complete model for less than replacing the parts and there is no collector value with these boats that I know of. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the neighbor who gave me the 2 motor drive peddle things traded them for a old used deep freezer I had one day in a yard sale and didn't sell it. He came down last night and asked me if I still have that deep freezer and I said yea. He said keep them 2 peddle things and Ill take the freezer. I said ok. When I take it to the kayak dealer today Ill update everyone. Anyone in the market for one of those drive things? I got 2. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

John i sent you a PM. Thanks.