Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Glue My Hobie 16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Surf City Catamarans wrote:
BobMerrick wrote:

Oh yea and I didn’t pull on the bow and transom to straighten the boat. I thought there was too much risk of just flexing the bow. Instead I went across the platform from casting to casting and pulled the boat square that way.

Never heard of anyone doing it that way before, maybe it's the new cool way. The best way is from pylon to pylon, that way you don't 'square' your boat with one bow forward of the other, which is the point of squaring in the boat in he first place. Is the tramp frame square now?

The hulls are square but I never measured the tramp. What I mean is, I get the same measurement going from starboard bow to port transom as I do going from port bow to starboard transom. Before I pulled the boat square the SB to PT measurement was longer than the PB to ST measurement. To square it up I pulled the starboard bow casting/pylon closer to the port transom casting/pylon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wally gave me a tip years ago....to make sure the boat stays square, set it square when you glue it up then never measure it again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Randy Payne wrote:
Wally gave me a tip years ago....to make sure the boat stays square, set it square when you glue it up then never measure it again!

+1 That's some truth right there!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What year is your boat? I was under the impression that with the new corner castings, which have been out for quite some time, there isn't a big advantage to glueing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Friends

I just glued my 98 HC16spi. I think it made a big difference going through choppy seas.

Please check the front crossbar before putting the frame together. Mine had some small cracks at the endings,i think there is a lot of stress on that place.So i took it to the welder.
Another small tip: to make sure the epoxy stays in the corner castings and not ends up inside the tubes,i recommend putting paper-tape over the tube endings before gluing, the tape will disappear over time.
The only hard part for me was to get the corners of the pylons!

A Hobie summer to you all :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this topic has been beat to death, but since it is such a commitment, I wanted to check twice.

I am planning to glue up my corner castings to the pylons. Only the pylons and castings. Not the side bars. Then I'll replace all corner rivets. Does everyone still think West Systems epoxy is best or should I go with 3M 5200 since there is a little give to it when cured? Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Then whole point of gluing the boat is to eliminate all flex, so using an adhesive with some give would defeat the purpose.

The easiest method I have seen is to use West six10 epoxy adhesive. It comes in a caulk-gun type tube with a built-in static mixer which allows easy dispensing. You just squirt it out like you would caulk on whatever you want to glue and it’s ready to go.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ooops, I epoxied mine last week and also did the sidebars. Oh well, guess we will see what happens later down the road. I pre-tensioned with a few ratchet straps to draw in about 1.5". I've released the straps and started lacing the tramp. The epoxy is holding the bend in the sidebars (unless they were already like that before the epoxy).... not much, but it is noticeable if you sight down it, maybe 1/2" offset.