Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

last night, whilst going out sailing on his new adventure island, a Newquay man was lucky to escape death when his kayak on trolley, in its enthusiasm, tried to run him over in its endevour to get to the waters edge. the tarred road leading down to the harbour is quite steep, and steepens towards the bend at the bottom. interviewed later, the man said the trolley was great, but a braking system would improve his chances of going sailing safely.

the above statement isnt true, but could be. if anyone can suggest some means of break system for a ai on trolley, of any kind or cofiguration, please share your ideas with me.

bar going down kayak first, so it pulls me rather than pushes me, any suggestions from owners would be appreciated.

cheers
tw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey,

You might try rigging something similar to the braking system used on those "wheeled walkers" that assist many elderly people. You know, the type where you squeeze the lever (similar to a brake handle on a bicycle) to release the brake, and then release the lever to set the brake. That way, it's fail safe if you accidently lose control and the kayak slips from your hands... the moment you let go, the brakes lock, and the kayak stops.

Reubs

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:32 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I can only imagine what it must be like going up the ramp! Personally I let the boat take the lead, right into the water.

If you feel you need a brake, why not make a "Click N Go" skid? Snaps right in, pops out quickly, should store in the front hatch. It would look (very roughly) like this:

You can get a spare drumshaft, use the shipping rod (seen here) or whatever you have laying around. Just be careful to fashion it in such a way that you don't overstress the drivewell or C&G locks. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner, you've got a great idea with pictures for just about any AI problem or question! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I can only imagine what it must be like going up the ramp! Personally I let the boat take the lead, right into the water.

Good solution RR :wink:
Now - how about some mechanical assistance to get up that ramp :roll: :P

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:48 am 
Hobie Team Member

uh oh....I think I just found a new sport.
Put a wheel on that drivewell board and I'm in business for some downhill kayaking!!
WOOHOO!!! :lol:

Don't lead me to temptation, I already know the way.
Syn

Post subject: good ideas.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks guys. roadrunner, thats a pretty feasable idea. it would, with a rubberised base, serve as a frictional brake ala support arm. i have yet to take delivery of the ai, but know from pulling my prowler 13, and physically braking it, that the ai will be twice the handful, longer and potentially more dangerous, and strenuous. heres hoping i make it down first time, and manage the up-pul without killing myself. will keep you posted, thanks for the photos, good solution.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Roadrunner, that’s shear genius in its simplicity! My suggestion of rigging a brake system is ridiculous by comparison. I’m new here, but already glad to have found this forum.

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great idea Roadrunner! 8)

Trippingwet,
I wheel my Adventure and occasionally my AI up and down two very steep and long driveways. I haven't felt a need for brakes but when it's wet I wear rockfishing booties with metal studs for grip.
Following on from one of Roadrunners 'adding extra handles' posts, I added an extra handle to the bow. It makes a big difference being able to use both arms for pulling or braking. It works very well if you have to drag through deep sand
They are available to buy as a spare or you could just relocate the stern handle to the bow. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think you could rig a wheel to a spare Mirage Drive and peddle back up the ramp! ;-}

iHop

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA