Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm sort of old and fat. I used to have some difficulty getting back on my 17 but if I went up to the bow and kicked up and pulled down the boat would sink enough that I could get on. There's more flotation at the bow of the 21, also higher out of the water, and that doesn't work. Anybody got an idea of a way to help me get back on? I'm thinking of a knotted rope across at the front crossmember. I tried a loop of line (main halyard) to put my foot in but it sort of swings under the boat and I can push with my leg but I go back instead of up. Anybody get a solution? Short of diet and exercise.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The easy way to get back onto a 21 is reach up to the wing seat and gap a hold with both hands ,now pull yourself with your arms and slid your legs onto the deck and wiggle in...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

when the kids were small we got a rope ladder from West Marine and tied it to the bottom of the wing post Worked great for kids and adults

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great suggestions! Thanks. When the water warms up a touch I think I'll try them both.

Charles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like to think I am still young ;) but I struggled with this as well. I am a woman with a little less arm strength. I had the same problem you describe on my first catamaran boat flip yesterday. My son who is 12 seemed to have no issues but my 10 year old very athletic daughter and I had to work at getting back on our Hobie Getaway since it sits a bit high in the water... I created an adhoc rope ladder but like you said it swings under the boat which still then requires substantial arm strength to pull yourself on.... ended up using the wings. Hooked my foot up and over the support bar and then flipped up under the seat. Was not very graceful, but did the trick. I am a mechanical engineer by education (not in practice these days) but sketched out a simple design to ease reboarding and if it works I'll send you the details.

Cynthia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well Cynthia, no pressure but ... I'm glassing up the rock dings in the boards now, club opens in a week, I figure to be racing in two. Take your time. You've got at least ten days.

Thanks

Charles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Problem with my mind here. I reread your post, and a thought. Just for in future, one reason for wearing a trapeze harness is that if one person can get back on the boat the other can help by pulling on the seat or the strap of the harness. Normal clothes will rip with the amount of force required. I'm speaking from my experience with mixed crews when I was younger and stronger and could get back on the boat and help the, usually female, crew. With a twelve year old son ... your mileage may vary.

Charles