Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a quick question. When I kayak here in Ontario, Canada, we have to have a few basic things with us by law. We need to carry at the very least, a whistle (audible signalling device) bailer (or manual pump) 50 feet of floating rope and a manual propulsion device (paddle).

The local kayak shop has informed me that they have even been enforcing these rules for stand up paddleboarders which makes it very difficult to sell those items here to people who want to obey the law. Picture a guy on a surfboard having to carry a bailer!

My question is, on the Wave, is there any place to put a paddle, or some of the other safety devices like some floating line, in order to abide by local laws?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My sailing club has similar rules for all participants, plus an anchor, rigging knife and throwable PFD. Fortunately there are parenthetical exceptions for catamarans, Lasers, Sunfish and windsurfers. Imagine a windsurfer with an anchor!

Personally, I keep a paddle bungee'd underneath the rear tramp lacing, and a hank of line in the tramp pouch, and a whistle attached to my PFD. Not sure about the legal definition of a bailer, but a cup or can-koozie might qualify. If not, I do often carry a tubular water cannon (just in case, you know), which might qualify as a manual pump.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I always take a paddle and spare parts with me. I usually have to use the paddle to get out or into the canal I'm on to get to the lake. Its very rare that I can sail both ways. I found one that has 2 telescoping sections so it "folds" up real small. Have 2 loops of shock cord on the rear lacing holding it down parallel to the rear cross member. It lays flat and doesn't get in the way of the traveler.

For spare parts and line I have a small pouch that I attach to the lacing just a few inches back from the forward cross member. One thing I have been considering is a "Tramp Pack" they are designed to attach to the hiking straps and are about 24 inches by 18" and 4 inches tall. I had one in the past and can hold a number of items without getting in the way.

Hobie and Murray's both them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have to figure out where to put a paddle with the classic tramp. It must be a bit of a pain to paddle the Wave. Our beach is slightly protected so the wind gets weak when approaching. The tramp pack sounds like a good idea if you are out for the day.

MP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MP,

Paddling the Wave isn't as bad as you might think. I usually kneel right where the front cross member meets the hull. Then I can paddle on either side of the hull to "steer" the boat. When I'm alone the rudders are up when paddling so they don't have to be adjusted.

My paddle is only 20" long when the shaft is compressed, would easily fit inside the tramp pack. Before I got this paddle, I had one that had a fixed length shaft. So ai would put it across the tramp under the hiking straps, just behind the forward cross member.

Even if I'm only going out for an hour, I take all my spare equipment, you just don't know when you'll need it.

Charlie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Charlie,

What spare parts do you have on hand??

MP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's what I carry.

couple of shackles & clevis pins
Spare blocks
tie wraps & electrical tape
10 ' 1/4" line, 12 ' 5/16 line (nothing special about the length, its what I had on-hand)
rigging Knife (with shackle buster)
Cell phone in water proof case
some water.
Paddle.

not to mention a PFD.

Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

if you dont want to take a paddle with you, the rudder is considered a paddle as well!!!
In Ontario u need to have a safety kit with you and you should have a flashlight too...
a pddle can be attached with a little line to the hiking strap on the tramp or u can get a telescopic hobie paddle at Quiet Waters or Fogh marine in Ontario!!