Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My friend is selling a ~1985 14' Hobie Cat (catamaran) for $500!

It looks like it's all in good condition, and it sounds like more than a fair price.

I guess my question is: Is it worth it? Do they last that long? Anything I should look out for?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,
Ashton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Having just bought (last November) a late 70's 14 for 300 (500 sounds really good if there aren't any serious flaws), I can say there are several things I wish I had known then:
1. check the deck and hulls by rapping your knuckle on them every few inches along the entire length and listening for the good "ring" of sound fiberglass, and hoping you don't hear the "thud" of delaminated fiberglass.
2. check the mast and all the aluminum extrusions for cracks - some can be fixed, others sound more serious. Aluminum castings may also have bad rivets, cracks, enlarged bolt holes from wear.
3. check the rigging to see that it's all there (see the Hobie catalog and the rigging guide available online from their site).
4. check for cracks, bad dings in the hulls - can you repair fiberglass?
5. check the trail- lights? rust through's? tires? wheel bearings? (I had to stop at WalMart on the way home after buying mine to get WD-40 to spray on a bad bearing just to get it home!)
6. check the sail - holes? limp and worn? battens all there? (I'm missing a batten and the sail has been "rode hard and put away wet".
7. check the tramp - is the welding coming apart? foot straps sound? any holes or rips? grommets sound?

There's a wealth of information on the forum - read and re-read and ask questions with pictures attached if possible. Many of these guys have incredible knowledge and they are quick to share it.

Expect to spend more than the purchase price to fix 'er up.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow. Thank you very much for that detailed checklist. I'll definitely check those out.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If it was 70's boat I would say that it probably isn't worth it. Now a 1985 14 is a red glue seam boat and none of the boats from this era are showing delamination. Red glue seam boats are lighter and faster than the previous vintage boats. Also a 1985 boat will have a dolphin striker and adjustable rudder castings that allow the boat to be tuned to sail in heavy air.

I bought 2 1985's in the past 8 years and I won the national championship 3 times on the first one. My friend beat me last year with the second one. These are the best 14's made because in 1986 they started making the 17 witch killed the 14 as a single hand boat.

If you decide not to get it let me know so I can get a racer to buy it.

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

One correction to Bill's post - it doesn't necessarily come with an OEM dolphin striker.

I have a 1985 14 that I adapted an old 17's dolphin striker to (only had to cut off the post - the rod is the same length and just needed to be bent at the ends).

It's also the lightest 14 that we know of in the US - 3 lbs over minimum weight.

And I would have beaten Billy in 2005 if the mast had stayed on the boat. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I say its worth it. I have about $950-1000 invested in my Hobie 16 and from the 5-6 times I have used it I feel like I already have my moneys worth. Lots of fun!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a bunch guys.

I sailed a couple times while I was a staffer at a Boy Scout Camp, but will definitely need to do a little reading to make sure I understand it.

I really really want to get it. I don't think it has a trailer, though.

@h16bill: haha. Well, I'll let you know if I don't get it. fyi. It's up here in North West Montana (on Flathead Lake). ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess my next question is:

Is $500 a good, decent, fair, or crappy price for a 14' old Hobie cat?

Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I drove 12 hours each way and paid $1000 for my 1985 14 (it did come with a trailer that I later sold for $250). In 2005.

Does that answer your question?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, thank you.

He just told me that he actually thinks it's a '73 or '76... still worth it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd still say yes, especially if you can find nothing major wrong with it. If you want to race, and need to upgrade several things like fitting on a comp tip to the mast, maybe not.

The trailer part is a bit problematic if you have to trailer it to the water like I do.

I'm retiring next month, so a big project like mine will keep me occupied and out of my wife's hair for quite awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If it has all the parts and a straight mast then it's probably worth it, but it's never going to be a racer. Check the hulls for soft spots. I would keep looking for something 1984 or newer even if you do get it.

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

h16bill wrote:
If it has all the parts and a straight mast then it's probably worth it, but it's never going to be a top tier racer. Check the hulls for soft spots. I would keep looking for something 1984 or newer even if you do get it.

cheers
Bill

Fixed if for you, Billy.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

MBounds wrote:
h16bill wrote:
If it has all the parts and a straight mast then it's probably worth it, but it's never going to be a top tier racer. Check the hulls for soft spots. I would keep looking for something 1984 or newer even if you do get it.

cheers
Bill

LOL. I can vouche for that. My '75 was a slug at the NAs last year but it was fun. Atleast I can blame it on the boat... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if its all in good condition, yes it is for sure worth it, and they will last a long time as long as you take care of it, i had a old 197x's hobie 14 all in good condition with no trailer and sold for $600, so i think its a good deal, but i have also found some good deals on a h16 in semi good condition for $500 too... so the prices are all over the board...