Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shroud adjuster setup
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently bought a pile of H17 parts and I'm going through it to see what I should keep and what I can get rid of on Ebay. I got some shrouds and they had this setup attached to them. Can someone tell me what this stuff is for?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Shroud extenders for righting the boat.

After capzising, you pull the fast pin in the adjuster on the high side, letting the shroud loose until it hits that shackle in the photo. That lets the upper hull tilt more towards horizontal, lending its weight to righting the boat.

After righting, you pin the shroud back and you're on your way.

On the 17, you need to keep the stepping pin in the mast base to keep the mast attached to the boat if you go turtle. A turtled, dismasted boat is almost impossible to right on the water.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool. Thanks for the info. Would it help to have this setup on an H16?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those systems just seem like a recipe for disaster IMO. Just seems like way too much of an opportunity for the mast to hop off the step, dent the crossbar, or damage something else. Allowing the mast to flail around with an extra foot of slack in the shrouds seems pretty unsafe. Not to mention that once you've got the boat upright, you now have to somehow re-connect the shroud on the leeward side of the boat single-handedly in conditions that are rough enough to cause you to flip in the first place.

If it were, me, I'd save the shackles and other hardware and toss the rest of the system. But that's just me.

To answer your question, you can use this system on the H16, but you need to have a loop of cable that goes from the base of the mast down around the dolphin striker post so that the mast is held in the step. Otherwise you risk dismasting.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it would be ok on the 17 since the mast will stay attached if you leave the mast step pin installed. I guess you could always try to right it before you unhooked the shroud, and if you weren't able to, you could release the pin and try it that way.

Thanks for the responses. These forums are invaluable.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would guess that the shroud lengthening devices have been tested, so maybe they work fine. But one thing that would worry me on the 17 is that the mast base sits very close to the front crossbar even in it's normal position. If you lengthened the shroud I could see a potential for the mast base contacting the crossbar. At best, this would just scratch the crossbar. At worst, this could dent the crossbar, damage the mast base, or pull the ball off the dolphin striker post.

I also think re-pinning the shroud single-handedly in rough conditions could be a real challenge.

I'd test the system on dry land or under controlled conditions before I wanted to rely on it during an actual capsize situation.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

To right or not to right... that is the question.

This system is designed to make it possible to right in conditions or with crew weight where it otherwise may not be possible. Yes, there are drawbacks and concerns about possible damage to the rig, but when it gets down to righting and sailing home or staying out there... or washing up on rocks? This is a good solution.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have used the shroud extender to right my old H16 on more then one occasion and it worked fine. It can be a bit hairy get it reset after its righted but like Matt said, it was either that or I dirft around the lake for the night.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It works well. Have used it on my 16 (without a loop of cable as srm mentioned) and have it on the 17.

It can get hairy: Here's the thing- once you get the boat back up, all the wind is on the side of the boat that has the non-extended shroud - pretty much that is ALL that is keeping the rig in place. You have to maintain course and keep that pressure going. Go as slowly as possible with the main all out, as upwind as possible, and re-connect the extended shroud to the adjuster - top hole is OK, (as srm said "it's a challenge) - you can retune later.

This can be really tricky if you are solo- and of course, the main reason you need to use the extender is that you ARE, in fact, solo :?

Even before I figured this maneuver out, I never experience a dismasting or damage - its just really scary when you come about and the mast FLOPS over to the side---

I've been thinking of the water bucket system instead of the extender... anyone ever try that ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm digging this thread up because I'm thinking of installing one of these Upright solo righting systems discussed in this thread. Possibly in addition to the "Shroud Adjuster".

Has anyone tried putting these on H18s / Hobie Pearl?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Subject to what Matt Miller and SRM said, they work great on H18's.
My buddy has used his often on his SX18.....
I try not to capsize.... otherwise the first mate grumbles at me!