Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black deck gel coat?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've gotten down through a layer of white paint and two layers of blue paint and and have hit what appears to be black gel coat on the decks of my H14. The original hull gel coat appears to have been yellow.

No trace of etched numbers on the hulls after removing some pretty serious paint build-up, so probably no hope of knowing what year the boat is.

Were there ever black decks? I can't see any deck colors in the pdf of sail history.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Black deck gel coat?
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:46 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

No black decks originally. I think you're into the resin. It looks black because it's semi-transparent and you're looking into the dark interior of the boat.

Look on your front pylons for a 3 or 4 digit stamped number in the aluminum. That's where the pre-1973 serial numbers are.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used Interlux 299E stripper to get down to a very smooth, shiny black surface in several spots - pretty sure it's pigmented, but I'll look carefully again - could have been a re-coat at some point before someone ran amuck with a paint brush. Only paint would bubble up with a stripper designed as more safe for fiberglass gel-coat, right?

No markings on the pylons either. I can see sanding marks under the paint I've removed on the transoms. Guessing the HID is gone.

Anyway, I'm havin' a ball, learning a ton, and planning to buy a new Hobie early on in my next life! As others have said, the forum is an invaluable resource, especially for newbies.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

blord5 wrote:
I used Interlux 299E stripper to get down to a very smooth, shiny black surface in several spots - pretty sure it's pigmented, but I'll look carefully again - could have been a re-coat at some point before someone ran amuck with a paint brush. Only paint would bubble up with a stripper designed as more safe for fiberglass gel-coat, right?

No markings on the pylons either. I can see sanding marks under the paint I've removed on the transoms. Guessing the HID is gone.

Anyway, I'm havin' a ball, learning a ton, and planning to buy a new Hobie early on in my next life! As others have said, the forum is an invaluable resource, especially for newbies.

Pics?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can't see much of the gloss in the pics, but now I'm seeing blue under the black, and two layers of blue over it and white to top it off. Top photo before stripping and coarse sanding, bottom one after. Can I use Marine Tex or Bondo on the deck edge damage?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bruce,
I don't really know how to help that situation, hard to tell from pics. It looks like someone painted it with bottom paint, see how it's kind of rusty looking? What happens when you go below the black?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think the reddish hue is due to the lighting.

Beneath the black is another layer of blue - you can see it on the deck edge in the bottom picture. There's light blue and dark blue paint on top of that.

Don't think I have the stamina to take it all the way down to gel-coat so will probably fill all the dings, prime and paint it.

Can I go wrong using either marine tex or bondo to fill small chips and the damage around the edge of the decks?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wow! so many layers of paint! thats insane!