Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: hobie bob
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

been doing some reading, and visiting websites of authorized Hobie retailers..and I'm still confused.

For the 17, should I get the Mama or Mini?

And do they come with all the parts needed for safe installation on my comp tip, or do I have to manufacture something?

Thanks,

Dan L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The instructions that come with the "MOMA BOB Universal" appear to be for the all aluminum masts.
I have a 1986 Hobie 17 with a "COMP TIP" which I have converted to a "Sport" (crossbar/roller furling jib etc).

Here is my plan, I would appreciate anyone's thoughts before I start as this is not the same as the instructions in the kit.

1). I plan to mount the two brackets for the float support shaft with the aft rivets just ahead of the comp tip's sail track attachment groove.
2). Bend the ends of the brackets so they conform to the curvature of the mast.
3). Determine the position for the float shaft so the float is close to but not touching the masthead.
4). Drill holes for the brackets as far apart as possible (maybe within 1/2 - 1" of the end of the shaft on the bottom end and 2" down from the aluminum masthead fitting).
5) Pop-rivet the shaft in place using the rivets and caps from the kit.
6). Rotate the Moma Bob so it will be parallel to the center-line of the boat.
7). Drill a hole thru the mast using the hole in the float shaft a a guide (this is the hole the kit directions say to put the longest rivet with a cap).
8). Caulk the holes and install a machine screw with a "fender washer" and lock-nut on the opposite side of the mast.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would love to see pictures of this. I sail in Biloxi Mississippi. Righting is not a problem but the water is very shallow in places. At 240 lbs I have no problem righting except when the wings dig into the sand. Bobs will save your masthead and sails in skinny water. If you look in the 18 forum poolemarkw made a fantastic mount for the 18. I made the same mount for my 18 but the comtip on my 17 is a little smaller. Pictures anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sargentwu10,
I'm hoping someone has already mounted a Mama Bob on a Hobie 17 comp tip mast and will comment and/or send pictures. If not I will proceed and take pictures. (I'm still uncomfortable because of the small size of the mast at the mast head).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

Capri1822 wrote:
The instructions that come with the "MOMA BOB Universal" appear to be for the all aluminum masts.
I have a 1986 Hobie 17 with a "COMP TIP" which I have converted to a "Sport" (crossbar/roller furling jib etc).

Here is my plan, I would appreciate anyone's thoughts before I start as this is not the same as the instructions in the kit.

1). I plan to mount the two brackets for the float support shaft with the aft rivets just ahead of the comp tip's sail track attachment groove.
2). Bend the ends of the brackets so they conform to the curvature of the mast.
3). Determine the position for the float shaft so the float is close to but not touching the masthead.
4). Drill holes for the brackets as far apart as possible (maybe within 1/2 - 1" of the end of the shaft on the bottom end and 2" down from the aluminum masthead fitting).
5) Pop-rivet the shaft in place using the rivets and caps from the kit.
6). Rotate the Moma Bob so it will be parallel to the center-line of the boat.
7). Drill a hole thru the mast using the hole in the float shaft a a guide (this is the hole the kit directions say to put the longest rivet with a cap).
8). Caulk the holes and install a machine screw with a "fender washer" and lock-nut on the opposite side of the mast.

What do you think?

Sounds just like the instructions! Yes, they are written for CompTip too. On the 17... the aft rivet is just ahead of the track.

https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/30112z52.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Thanks, I'll proceed (when the snow stops) and take pics and post them to help others.