Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is anyone willing to weigh in on whether or not to mount a motor on a getaway? How does it hold up? I'm not really interested in the debate over whether or not a motor should be on a beach cat, but rather, who's had experience with them.

From what I've found it's about 50/50. Half of those who have them hate them, the other half loves them.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day Mike, From where I live, it's hard to get out onto the water from the canals, unless the wind is behind.
many of us here in OZ have some sort of motor. It needs to be quick to deploy as sometimes you don't have much time to come about and into the wind. Capsize is another issue, the electric motors seem to be the go. Have a look at "Cheeta motor mount or home made" and you will see what some of us use over here. cheers.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On the topic of motors, how do the motors handle capsizing. I don't think the getaway with the mast bob would turtle but if I ever do go over, will the motor (mine's a gas powered 2hp Honda 4 storke) start. What if the motor does go under, is there anything you can do to salvage the motor once it's been submerged?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have an older Min Kota Rip Tide saltwater series 40lb trolling motor on a Cheata mount. We couldn't launch from many boat ramps without it due to the position relative to the wind and often the lack of a dock. The motor does not hit the water when the boat flips on a side, but I don't believe it would hurt it if it did submerge. The bigger concern is whether the car battery will go south, potentially spilling acid or pulling the motor along with it. We pulled the cooler lid off our right hull and mounted a battery box. It has proved very secure, and hasn't leaked, when we capsize (with the bob in place, so we don't turn turtle.) FYI, a 40lb electric trolling motor will push the boat at about five mph if you aren't fighting wind or current. At full power we get at least an hour from a relatively small deep cycle battery.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone with a gas powered motor have any experience flipping a cat or with submersion of the motor?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

KeithB wrote:
Anyone with a gas powered motor have any experience flipping a cat or with submersion of the motor?

Check this out, looks like it would take a dunking. (I have no connection to Torqeedo whatsoever)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8PZ3SyVRc

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2006 Getaway and sail it off the Gulf coast of Florida. I bought the boat off Ebay, it was 3 months old and came with a 2hp Honda 4 stroke motor. I sail alone often and use to really enjoy bad weather conditions. I am a little smarter now.

So, yes, I've flipped the boat with the motor on it. Yes, the motor and the mount stayed on the boat with the boat on it's side and thru the righting process. On one particularly bad day, there was no way to sail home. I dropped the sail, lashed it down and fired up the motor. The waves were coming over the boat with great frequency. There were times the motor shut off simply because it was completely underwater for extended periods. It always restarted.

The Cheata mount looks fragile but I have never had a problem with it, and it has taken some abuse. The little Honda 4 stroke is one tough motor.

They work really well together and extend your sailing options.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

drgatsea wrote:
I have a 2006 Getaway and sail it off the Gulf coast of Florida. I bought the boat off Ebay, it was 3 months old and came with a 2hp Honda 4 stroke motor. I sail alone often and use to really enjoy bad weather conditions. I am a little smarter now.

So, yes, I've flipped the boat with the motor on it. Yes, the motor and the mount stayed on the boat with the boat on it's side and thru the righting process. On one particularly bad day, there was no way to sail home. I dropped the sail, lashed it down and fired up the motor. The waves were coming over the boat with great frequency. There were times the motor shut off simply because it was completely underwater for extended periods. It always restarted.

The Cheata mount looks fragile but I have never had a problem with it, and it has taken some abuse. The little Honda 4 stroke is one tough motor.

They work really well together and extend your sailing options.

I agree, the Honda 4 stroke and the Mercury have given us the best run, I like the Torqeedo too!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks drgatsea. I feel better knowing it will handle a flip and also restart after being submerged. Was there anything you needed to or should do before trying to restart after accidental submersion?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mostly I was trying to keep the boat right side up and stay on it. The first time the motor shut off I was a little concerned, but it started right up. I was worried about water getting in the vent on the gas cap. For awhile, I would open and close it as waves permitted. But what I found worked best was locking the motor facing straight ahead, then moving far forward on the tramp and steering with the rudders. This kept the motor a little higher out of the water and it didn't get buried after that.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a brand new in box Getaway Cheeta motor mount if anyone is interested. Planned on putting them on my getaway, but decided not to. [email protected]

just sold it.

Last edited by bowman215 on Mon May 24, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently installed a Cheeta motor mount and Torqueedo Travel - works great on our Getaway - my wife and I had one experience too many with wind dying during an evening sail on the Chesapeake - mosquitos ate us alive one night, so she became reluctant. Now we are confident that we'll get back.

'06 Hobie Getaway
'95 OK Scrambler (5)
'10 Walker Bay 310/Tohatsu 9.8
'07 Yam VX110 (2)
'08 Carolina 2590/Yam 115 (aquaculture)
'08 Judge 22/Honda 150
'05 World Cat DC250/Honda 150s
'08 Island Packet SP Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've used the 2HP Honda for 2 years. It works well for me. Because I launch in a channel, I need a motor. I use the hobie outboard mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So does the Cheata mount really and truly fit the Getaway nowadays?

I ask because I've seen sites like this one from a few years ago and all the talk of sawing and filing to get it to fit are less than comforting: http://www.eventid.info/cheata_mount.htm#Cheata

If so, anybody know where there are some more recent pictures of the Cheata on a Getaway (I'm wondering about the details of how and where it fits on the rear crossbar).

thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mchand wrote:
So does the Cheata mount really and truly fit the Getaway nowadays?

I ask because I've seen sites like this one from a few years ago and all the talk of sawing and filing to get it to fit are less than comforting: http://www.eventid.info/cheata_mount.htm#Cheata

If so, anybody know where there are some more recent pictures of the Cheata on a Getaway (I'm wondering about the details of how and where it fits on the rear crossbar).

thanks,
Mark

G'day Mark, have a look at this, it's made to fit, all the go here in OZ. You can make it if your'e handy with a welder.