Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:17 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 12
I just received my Hobie Island Adventure today and the port amas is 8 inches higher in the front than the starboard amas. The starboard amas is even with the kayak forward and aft. The port one is much higher in the front. Its looks ridiculous and I am sure it will sail much worse then it looks. It appears that the welding of the crossbar pin holders were not set up correctly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix.

Problem solved: see my reply this page Tue Jul 10, 2012


Last edited by T0m on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:04 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 8889
Location: Oceanside, California
Contact your dealer to file a warranty claim. If the weld is bad, we will replace the crossbeam. In the meantime... sail the boat.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:59 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 12
Update the dealer is going to stop by and have a look. They have assured me that the boat will be right and will work to that end. So far my dealer has been great with replacing the mast bearing race which was not holding the nylon bearings in place and also replacing the rear pad eye which broke during delivery from a defect in the casting. I have to say that my first Hobie adventure ( 2006 ) seems to be of a much higher quality then my new one. Although the new rudder lifting mechanism is an improvement, the fit and finish of the new model are markedly diminished, and not of the quality I would expect from the Hobie I have known for many years. If any of the powers that be read this post please consider the Hobie reputation before you cut any more corners. The only thing Hobie has had over its competitors is quality and innovation. Losing that edge would be a terrible price to pay. If I wanted a Walmart boat I would go to Walmart. I wanted a Hobie , I paid the price for a Hobie, and I expected a Hobie. I hope I didn't hurt to many feeling with post, but I just had to get that off my chest.
Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:43 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 8889
Location: Oceanside, California
Not sure what you are seeing as diminished quality since the last Adventure... other than these few issues maybe? The boat itself and fittings have been improved since 2006.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:06 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 12
Hi Matt,
I guess my biggest problem is the way my boat was finished. Please understand that I had to save for this boat, I couldn't wait to have have it, and I was very excited and happy when I knew it was going to be delivered. I happened to see the dealers truck coming down my street on the delivery day, to me the Hobie Adventure is a beautiful sight in or out of the water, and this day it looked more beautiful then ever because it was coming to me. Imagine my disappointment when the problems became apparent. I know that sometimes a defect will make it out the factory unnoticed, but there is little excuse for delivering an adventure island with a bearing race problem as this defect has been well known for some time. I will admit that I told the dealer he did not have to assemble the amas when he delivered the boat, so he had no idea of that problem and I am sure he would not have left the boat here had he known that there was a problem with them. The point here is that all these problems originated at the factory and I have to wonder if the assembly techs really care about the product they are building. I believe they have all the tools and materials necessary to deliver a quality product but lack the motivation or desire to take pride in their work. As a loyal Hobie customer I think I and all other Hobie customers deserve to have a quality control inspection of our boats before they leave the factory so we will not have to suffer the disappointment of receiving a boat that is less then what we expect or deserve for our hard earned money.
Tom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 8889
Location: Oceanside, California
Thanks for the clarification. I certainly understand your frustration. I will pass your comments to the factory.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:37 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:57 am
Posts: 270
Location: Perth, Australia
T0m wrote:
Hi Matt,
I guess my biggest problem is the way my boat was finished. Please understand that I had to save for this boat, I couldn't wait to have have it, and I was very excited and happy when I knew it was going to be delivered. I happened to see the dealers truck coming down my street on the delivery day, to me the Hobie Adventure is a beautiful sight in or out of the water, and this day it looked more beautiful then ever because it was coming to me. Imagine my disappointment when the problems became apparent. I know that sometimes a defect will make it out the factory unnoticed, but there is little excuse for delivering an adventure island with a bearing race problem as this defect has been well known for some time. I will admit that I told the dealer he did not have to assemble the amas when he delivered the boat, so he had no idea of that problem and I am sure he would not have left the boat here had he known that there was a problem with them. The point here is that all these problems originated at the factory and I have to wonder if the assembly techs really care about the product they are building. I believe they have all the tools and materials necessary to deliver a quality product but lack the motivation or desire to take pride in their work. As a loyal Hobie customer I think I and all other Hobie customers deserve to have a quality control inspection of our boats before they leave the factory so we will not have to suffer the disappointment of receiving a boat that is less then what we expect or deserve for our hard earned money.
Tom



well said, i also wondered how my boat came without a pin for one of the Akas seems hobie need to work on there quality testing at the factory.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:17 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 8889
Location: Oceanside, California
We always try hard to get it right... but it happens in large scale production, and its not high tech like you see in electronics and car assembly. The dealers usually catch these issues during assembly or what they call "commissioning" of a boat. If shipped direct or not assembled by a dealer... this important step is missed.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:34 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:57 am
Posts: 270
Location: Perth, Australia
mmiller wrote:
We always try hard to get it right... but it happens in large scale production, and its not high tech like you see in electronics and car assembly. The dealers usually catch these issues during assembly or what they call "commissioning" of a boat. If shipped direct or not assembled by a dealer... this important step is missed.



I understand this but Hobie is a worldwide company and so if you don't live in the states getting parts and replacement bits can take a long time. I think it would be in everybody's best interests if hobie employed a quality inspector to have a quick look over boats before they went into packaging. Maybe give them a check-sheet or something each boat would only take 1 or 2 minutes to thoroughly check.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:14 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:55 am
Posts: 60
Location: Shetland, UK
feel free to employ me if you go ahead with the idea ;)

_________________
Quote:
We dont really grow up at all as we get older - we just get slightly better at behaving in public

Quote:
Got ants in my pants and I need to dance


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: uneven crossbars
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 9:02 pm
Posts: 12
T0m wrote:
I just received my Hobie Island Adventure today and the port amas is 8 inches higher in the front than the starboard amas. The starboard amas is even with the kayak forward and aft. The port one is much higher in the front. Its looks ridiculous and I am sure it will sail much worse then it looks. It appears that the welding of the crossbar pin holders were not set up correctly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix.


I have figured out the fix. Below see some pics of crossbar height adjustment mechanism that can be used to raise or lower amas at the front end. Adjust these with your hull on a flat surface. Do not try to raise only one side to even your amas. Raise one and lower the other by the same amount. Take your time and adjust a little at a time until you are happy with the results.

Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group