Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking at a Tiger and want to get a realistic idea of how much a handfull is it. I'm fairly new to cats and I have a H16 currently. Is it realistic to move to a Tiger? Can it be depowered and simplified to learn and grow with? I am a very experienced boater but not very much so with cats or sails.

Thanks

2005 Tiger #1863
1983 Boston Whaler SuperCat 17

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Tiger can be a very fun boat. Yes it can be readily depowered. If you stay with the furling jib it goes away and are sailing as a uni rig. With the 16 to 1 downhaul you can really flatten out the main sail.

Upwind the boat likes the weight at the boards and turning down in big wind get the weight back. Down wind the boat likes the spin up and good boat speed. Gybing keep the speed up and gybe quick. Don't try to sail slow in big wind it doesn't work. Let the boat go and enjoy the ride. There is a thread on depowering in high winds. also there is alot of info here.

Any questions feel free to contact me. I've been on the Tiger for about 3 years now.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes you should be fine. You do not want to take it out in big wind initially until you get the boat a bit sorted out. You can depower it initially with diamond wire tension. On the water you can downhaul, rotate the mast, and raise the daggerboards to help you depower it.

The real beauty is you will be able to sail in light wind and have way more fun than you would on the 16. It will open up more sailing opportunity to you.

Later,
Dan