Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jolly Roger
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,
I sail down at South Padre Island TX and own a 14' turbo. I recently came across the following on a discussion board:

"Many years ago, a buddy of mine was vacationing down at Padre Island (TX, on the Gulf of Mexico, for the Geographically challenged). He and his buddy (rented?) a small sailboat, and were cruisin around, havin' a good time. Buddy decides to hoist the ol' "Jolly Roger".

Being teens, they figure "yeah! that's cool". Sail around for a brief while when a USCG cutter appears, spots the flag, and hauls up to 'em at full throttle, swings around, and hails 'em

"VESSEL WITH THE SKULL AND CROSSBONES, HEAVE TO AND PREPARE TO BE BOARDED"

Ha ha ha...yeah, sure....until the crew performs an "action drill" and suddenly my buddy and his friend are looking down the barrel of a 40mm (?...some BMF mounted piece).

It's amazing how fast hands can go to vertical, and that flag can come down. It's also amazing how little a sense of humor those guys had..."

I sail with two of my daughters and they love the Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I ordered a replica of the flag that flew over the Black Pearl for our Hobie cat. This is all in fun and can't see how a 14' Hobie with a 9 and 11 year old is going to pose a threat to anyone. Do any of you know if it is illegal to fly our Disney oriented Jolly Roger flag, and will the Coast Guard try to board our boat, LOL! How am I supposed to carry any booty home with the 500 lb weight carrying limit of my boat?

Capt. "Daniel" Sparrow :?

Post subject: Whoa!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First, when you say small sailboat just what is considered small? Did they have a 21 foot monohull? Plenty of room to hide contraband or illegals in there. :twisted:

I sailed a 18 foot cat completely around South Padre last year in the Ruff Rider regatta (happens the weekend before Labor day). I had a Jolly Roger up the whole time I was sailing (roughly 13 hours total). :shock:

My crew and I actually sailed past a Coast Guard vessel while in the ditch on Saturday. They looked us over pretty hard, but what they were really looking for was beer. :P No, they didn't want the beer, they just wanted to make sure we were not drinking and boating.

I would say go for it! More than likely, you will not be doing any sailing way out in the gulf where the BMF gun toting cutters will be. :wink:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't know of anything illegal about flying a jolly roger. In fact, the british royal navy flies one on any vessel returning to port after scoring a "kill". I would venture to guess there were other reasons for that particular vessel boarding.

Also, if it was illegal to fly, I don't think West Marine would sell them.

Post subject: Jolly Roger In RI
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Marcus, Do you belong to Fleet 448? I've seen a number of boats in the fleet fly the Jolly Rodger. Our newsletter is called " The Pirate's Den" and I think the pirate theme used to be bigger with the members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not part of the fleet, but I hope to join up this summer. I'm getting ready for a big career shift, so hopefully I will end up with more time off. If I join I want to be able to participate, and right now I just don't have the time.

Post subject: Joining the Fleet
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Marcus, Good luck with the career change! I know how you feel. I haven't even had my own boat in the water for two seasons! Thanks to my friends from the fleet I have made it out a few times on other peoples boats. One of the very best times of my life was the '03 Island Hop. I crewed for Ray Ferreira on his 16 "Hubba Hubba". I'll never forget sailing into Menemsha, Ray wanted to "fly" the whole way in. We were still pretty far out when we pitchpoled. I hit the water laughing. Thankfully no damage to us or the boat :D I have to work, but if you can, try to make it over to Quonset July 9 + 10. That's The Summer Classic Regatta. A great time and you can meet some of the fleet. There are a lot of "Racers", but quite a few "Fun" sailors too. The High Holiday of Cat Sailing will be celebrated on August 13 at Gooseberry Neck in Westport MA. If the weather is good you'll have an unforgetable time too! Hope to see you there! Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious: How do you guys fly your flags, jolly rogers, wind socks, etc.? Do you clip them onto the head of the mainsail somehow? Or run them up a shroud? Add a second halyard to the side of the mast? What's the story?

Again, just curious... and thinking about ways to add some personality to my boats next summer. Gotta find something to keep me occupied all winter :wink:

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is the greatest story I have heard yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

harriw wrote:
How do you guys fly your flags, jolly rogers, wind socks, etc.? Do you clip them onto the head of the mainsail somehow? Or run them up a shroud? Add a second halyard to the side of the mast? What's the story?

Arrrggh! Da Cheney Pirates fly um frum der batins!

http://www.thebeachcats.com/albums2/alb ... .thumb.jpg

Post subject: Jolly Roger
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,
I flew the Jolly Roger all summer along with my fellow "Pirates of the Laguna Madre"! Here is our website:

http://pirates.dwebz.net

You can see how I fly mine by going to the gallery section. Our club consists of several Hobie cats. Check out the "Talk Like a Pirate Day" link!

Danny :D