Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: compass, GPS or ????
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:roll:
I would like to have some device to see what is going on with my course during the race. What do you use compass, GPS or ???? Where do you install it?
8)

Post subject: Using compass or GPS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Frank-

This is really an apples Vs oranges type of comparison. They serve two different purposes although they can be complimentay in use. As tactical pieces in a monohull race they can be really useful but I think less so for Hobie racing.

My opinion: The GPS would be the least useful for competitive multihull sailing except to see your actual speed over ground. The compass on the other hand can be used to see if you are gaining on a competitor or not, set your layline etc. ALTHOUGH it is a lot easier said than done. On a monohull at a few knots you have time to make judgements, on a Hobie at many knots it is much more difficult. :roll:

Whatever - if you just need an excuse to buy stuff you certainly have my blessing and I am sure the blessing of almost everyone else here :lol: If you have a better half let her know you NEED the stuff to go faster :wink:

-Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

8) Thanks Stephen 8)
What you said was the result of whole my research. I'll rather go have fun in the bar. Thanks again.
Frank :lol:

Post subject: Your welcome!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

8) Say hi to Capt. Morgan for me while you're there :wink:

PS there used to be a neat little Suunto (sp?) compass that was made to be mounted or tied right onto your trampoline lacing. I wonder if any of the die-hard competitors out there actually use a compass at all. :?:

Post subject: Tacktick Micro Compass
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out the Tacktick Micro Compass. You can get one at www.apsltd.com and they have a plastice deck mount for front crossbar. I love it. It has a compass, tactical compass( that gives you input on headers and lifts) and a count down timer that rolls over to tactical compass at zero. No more trying to look at watch and steer at the same time on starboard. A little pricey, but worth if you are serious about racing.

Let me know.

Doug