Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have no experience with cats, and I was just wondering if flattening the boat until its almost perpendicular to the water is important when sailing a cat... I've seen so many pictures and videos where they're not totally flat.

Sorry if that's a stupid question, it's just that I'm only experienced with sailing monohulls (FJs and 420s).

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19574

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nope, depending on the boat you want the windward hull to be just skimming the water. Some like to be a bit higher than others, but typically no more than a foot out of the water. The Hobie 16 you want the windward hull touching but thats about it.

There is no benifit on most boats either to get it flying a hull early, ie sending the crew to the low side when going up wind. Downwind you will send the crew to the low side to get the hull flying though.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alright, that makes sense. Thanks for the link and further explanation! One other thing, I know this applies to small dinghy boats like 420s, but should the skipper and crew sit close to each other on a cat? (particularly H17). And where should you sit upwind? Downwind?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Keeping your weight together reduces the rotational moment of inertia - it will reduce pitching on a catamaran. This is important when racing, but not so much when just sailing recreationally.

A H17 is primarily a one-person boat. The Sport (2 person) version is not used for racing, so I wouldn't worry keeping your weight together that much.

Upwind, you want your weight forward enough to keep the bow down, but not punching through waves. Downwind, you want to keep the sterns out of the water (impossible to do with two people on a 17) - keep your weight as far forward as possible without danger of pitchpoling. In light air, racers will position their bodies well forward of the front crossbar.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, MBounds for the good descriptions. As for recreational, I still prefer not to put pure enjoyment before performance. I think sailing with a competitive spirit is the fun part, even when doing it just for rec use.

Forward of the front crossbar? Wow thats pretty forward. Thanks for the info, I always thought placing yourself far on the stern was best while downwind.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marker wrote:
Forward of the front crossbar? Wow thats pretty forward. Thanks for the info, I always thought placing yourself far on the stern was best while downwind.
I think Matt also means that you want to keep the hulls, fore and aft, as flat in the water as possible to reduce drag. However I'm not sure of the effect on the sails, but likely by putting the mast more upright it gives more power downwind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is an example of how far forward I have to get on the 17 to keep the sterns out of the water. Upwind, light air. I'm almost holding the bridle wire in my forward hand while lying on the bow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Paul! I recognize your sail number haha and i think I remember the event, was that the race this year at Boyd reservoir, loveland?

Sebastian , I sailed the Blue Hobie 16 with Tequila sails cya at Nationals! (got an 18 now)