Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sailing footwear
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

my ai should be delivered in the next day or two. i'm quite apprehensive as im going to be on my own, learning the ropes as i s-ai-l, as they say. i will be walking the ai down to the harbour (newquay) on tarred roads (10 minutes), then across a short stretch of sand (when the tide is out) before hitting the water. my question relates to footwear used by other s-ai-lors who walk on tarmac to launch. i have some zip up sailing boots which will be ideal in winter, which is dry suit weather. in summer i dont want to be booted up, yet will need some good wet sandals or shoes which drain yet give secure footing for the haul (steep hill, both ways) to and from the waters edge.

any suggestions?

gary

Post subject: Re: sailing footwear
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use Teva sandals for everything related to kayaking.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trippingwet;

I have two outbacks and one Tandem Island and we sail/fish all around Tampa Bay Florida. Denise and I both like leather sandals. Good traction when pulling and good soles in the water. After we are in the boats we normally take them off. You will love your AI!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whosyerbob wrote:
I use Teva sandals for everything related to kayaking.

Me too.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have Teva-like sandals which I can use, but for a lot of my kayaking, I use Crocs. They are fine on pavement, I walk right up the beach with them, and when I walk in the water, they rinse clean. They'll keep the sharp stuff off your feet when you put your feet in the water, and they'll be completely dry in no time. The Teva's stay wet on the straps for a while.

Crocs aren't great for everyone, in every situation, but there are several situations where they work great for us.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been a Chaco sandal fan for years (>15 yr)--ever since my tevas got ripped off (lost) in a capsize the first day of a 5-day river trip. Earlier another pair of Tevas tore off the strap when I was wading through calf-deep muck in the everglades. None of those things have ever happened with my Chaco sandals.

To more answer the topic question, I use non-zipper, pull-on diving booties when kayaking or sailing. I hate when small beach shells/bits get between my sandal and bare foot. Booties solve that problem. Also, since we occasionally have to walk through muck when paddling/sailing the everglades, the booties handle that better. On dry land and around the house, I wear Chacos all the time.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Like Chekika, I too love Chaco's (much better than Tevas). But there are two problems with either type of sandal. First, as mentioned, gravel/pebbles often get caught in between my foot and the sandal and they can be hard to get out (the "Teva dance" doesn't get them out). The second problem may only be an issue for me because of my height: the soles are thick and I need every bit of length possible because the pedals are already set to the 7 setting. I need something with a thin sole so I can fully extend my legs.

Now I use Vibram Five-fingers shoes. Yeah, they're funky looking, like gloves for your feet but they are supper comfortable, thin-soled, and keep debris from entering the shoe (in fact, their KSO model stands for Keep-Stuff-Out). They are great for kayaking and just fine for walking as well (many people go running with them, i don't go that far... OK I just don't run period).

Coincidentally here is a review from our Aussie Hobie brothers:
http://yakass.net/articles/89-kayak-clo ... ers-review

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the Vibram Five-fingers shoes as well
i use the sprint model but i may consider the kso model

Post about my jib
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20991

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I go barefoot. If it was good enough for my wedd'n, it's good enough for kayak'n.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Barefoot is great.. until you have to get out of the boat. I used to go barefoot and had some flip flops to put on when I needed to step out of the boat. Did that until I fewll flat on my butt from bad flip-flop traction.

Five-finger shoes are the closest I could get to barefoot while still protecting my feet when on land.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Barefoot doesn't work for me anymore. I stepped into some nice soft sand while launching on a camping trip, and found a fish hook stuck in my foot. No more barefoot, unless it's from the swimming only beach, and even then, it's always best to have footwear with you just in case you need to stop somewhere other then the beach that you launch at.

To add to the discussion, I'm the guy who uses Crocs on my kayak, but the best sandals that I've ever owned are my Keen Sandals. They're the Teva-like ones that I mentioned before. The only reason that I don't use them on my kayak is because I like the quick drying, easily rinsed clean, Crocs for the boat. But for a sandal that meets your needs with a steep boat ramp, I'd DEFINITELY recommend the Keen sandals if you don't mind having wet straps on your footwear.

Barefoot is what I do once I'm off kayaking, but never again while I'm launching.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I'm not barefoot I do use those wetsuit material sock type boots which I find pretty good, but for walking down to my local launch site they arn't really all that practical. I might have a look at something that will do all. I hadn't really thought too much about my footwear until now, thanks trippingwet. I know what you mean 'augaug' and 'rockcrawler' about things in the water that can ruin your day. Kick one of these razors ( about 5 shots down ) and you can kiss kayak'n goodbye for a few months.

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14766

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for all the suggestions. i went ahead and bought the teva omnium and am happy with the quality and secure fit. for those who replied, i have crocs and a nail would go right through the sole, quickly. ive also used, and for normal kayaking could still use the wetsuit shoe type bootie. my post concerned the steep drop to and climb from the harbour. (im more concerned about the drop) without very good footwear, braking the ai fully laden becomes critical. stumble and thats your kayaking trip over.

ps. got my ai last night. now doing a full days work in glorious weather to pay the bills (whilst learning about my gps)
bit anxious, not about s-ai-ling, rather getting to and from the water.
will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

trippingwet wrote:
for those who replied, i have crocs and a nail would go right through the sole, quickly.

20 some-odd years ago, back when I was windsurfing (on a Hobie Alpha board, no less), an acquaintance hopped barefooted off his windsurfer as he approached shore - directly onto a broken beer bottle. It severed a bunch of tendons and an artery in his foot. He was sailing alone and this was before cell phones, so he raced to the local hospital by himself for aid and almost didn't make it due to blood loss.

Everyone that sailed with him was shocked and a bunch of us spent most of a weekend trying to clean out all the broken glass we could find in the mud and sand on the bottom of our put-in point. All-in-all, we collected over 80 pounds of glass, hooks, cans and other sharps from the area...and still found stuff afterward.

Ever since then, I have worn a solid-soled sandal or shoe when around small watercraft.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I generally use crocs, but find them to be not supportive enough if I am carrying the AI hull up a boat ramp. They tend to slip and buckle ( :cry: the worst time for slipping and buckling).

Kevlar booties are pretty good, but I find that after peddling for a short while my feet begin to hurt. For cold weather, Crocs+ neoprene wetsock works quite well.

I used bare feet at a pristine boat launch in Quebec until my foot got slashed by a broken beer bottle in the water. Another time at the same spot, my girlfriend ended up with a fishing hook in her foot (even though she had crocs). Now, I always wear foot gear, and strongly recommend any friends to do the same.