Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's a couple of pics of a nice 44 inch 28.5 lb striper I caught on my Hobie Quest off the coastline of Block Island:

And here's one of my recent catches - a fat 33 inch 15 pounder

Glad to be aboard guys. Hope to talk to you soon

Rol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Rol,
Welcome aboard! Man, those are some nice fish. How long did it take you to get them aboard? Must have been a fine ride. If you can get some pics, how about posting on how you rigged your Quest for fishing? It looks pretty sweet.
Best,
Dick

Post subject: Hey Dick...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 44 incher took mefor one heck of a ride. It towed me for a good 150 yards before she started to succomb to fatigue. The entire day was extraordinary with 4 fish over 20 pounds and probably another half dozen in the 15-20 pound range.

As for how my Quest is rigged...here's the details:

* GPS (Magellan Meridian Marine) mounted in flat square just behind cupholder
* Ram Rocket Launcher rod holder just in front of GPS
* Replaced the Hobie seat with an Apex 1 seat with a rod bag capable of holding an additional 2 rods.
* Standard milkcrate for storage tied down with bungees
* Hummingbird 565 fishfinder.
* Kayak stern/light mast for nighttime fishing

The picture below isn't the clearest image, nor the brightest, but you'll get the idea...

Last edited by soundfisher on Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice fish.

New to Forum and kayaking. Actually I'm so new to kayaking I'm still in the process of deciding on the Yak I want for fishing.

Hopefully there will be some deals at the New England Boat Show in Boston next month.

I've learned alot reading up on the forum and appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and custom jobs. It's alot different than the Fishing forums up here where it seems to be a big "click" and most info is discussed off line.

Anyway, I love the bass. Been fishing the Cape Cod Canal for a few years and have decided to move off the rocks. Too dangerous and tiring.

I do have one question, and if not appropriate on this thread, then I apologize. My question is that although the Hobie offers what seems to be a great pedal system, there's little discussion about mounting a small electric trolling motor. Just curious.

Great to be here.

Wali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Wali,
A hearty welcome to the Hobie Forum! Lots of great folks and info here. Rigging a trollng motor on a yak can be, and has been, done but not on a Hobie to my knowledge. Check the kayakfishingstuff.com site for info on rigging trollng motors. I think that most of us with Mirage drive yaks don't really see the need for an actual motor--the Mirage drive serves that purpose nicely IMHO. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Trolling Motor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:11 am 
Site Admin

Wali wrote:
My question is that although the Hobie offers what seems to be a great pedal system, there's little discussion about mounting a small electric trolling motor. Just curious.

The pedal system does work so well, there is little need for a trolling motor. I have seen one reference to using the drive well as a mount for a motor. The cassette plug was adapted (drilled) for the shaft and the motor was inserted and locked into the well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys,
I know it was somewhat of a funny question and I appreciate your responses. Two other questions though. Using the pedal system can you pedal backwards, as well as forwards? and, if I want to launch at the beach I would want to pull the pedal system. Can it be re-installed from the top once in the water without getting out of the yak?

I'm heading down to a Hobie dealer this week. I would like to have some knowledge before walking in.

Thanks again,
Wali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wali,
Nope--can't pedal backwards--unless you install the Mirage drive backwards. I did that once accidentally and it did work, but I wondered if it might damage the Mirage drive well, so I haven't tried it since.

Mirage drive can be pulled or installed in about 10 seconds from inside the yak. But--you do need enough water under the boat to straighten the flippers out so they will slip in and out of the well. That means there needs to be enough water under the boat so you can align the pedals side by side (flippers straight down). I always pull the drive when launching or landing since I don't like sand or shells mixed in the gearing--but that may be just me. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:47 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Nice cows! :D

http://www.aldenofsunapee.com/