Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well fellas the whale season is apparently on ( that may have been a whale after all that we saw at Jervis Bay Stringy ). I thought it was too early for it to have been a whale but 2 were sighted at Port Stephens at the weekend. I'm looking at hopefully getting out within the next couple of weeks and I'm thinking that Port Stephens has a number of benefits. Nice clear blue water, the whales tend to come in close between the islands for some reason, and there are whale watching boats around that we could use to help with spotting. Trouble is, as usual, I have to fit it in with a few commitments so at the moment this coming Sunday ( 30th ) or the following Saturday ( 5th ) would fit in well although I could be tempted to do a weekday if it suits better with others.

Any takers ? I wouldn't mind launching this time from Fingal Bay. We can drive down onto the hard sand beach at Fingal and unload at the waters edge. It's OK, if you blokes get bogged, I can pull you out. :lol: Also with using Fingal we wouldn't have to tackle going out through the heads either. But if we find it isn't too rough, we could go into Shoal or Nelsons Bay for lunch.

OK, who's keen ?

Fingal Bay launch site. Have you seen this beach before ?

How about now ?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn0lwGk4u9o[/youtube]

I gave Laura a ring and she's up for it.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:P :shock: Too bloody cold for us, Brrrrrr. Both Saturdays we've got something on anyway. But when the season gets a little warmer we would like to come one of these days.
Cheers. Deb.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can't make it on those days either mate, though the cold doesn't bother me. The water temp is still around 21 degrees C (70 degrees F). This Saturday no good for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Deb n Bob - Cold what cold. I must admit I'm not a big lover of cold weater either. You'd think that the whales would be a bit more considerate and come up this way in summer.

Chris - I have a 21st on Friday night which will be a late one. ( yes, I am young enough to still get invited to 21st's ) So can't really see me wanting to brave a swell after a big night.

How about weekdays then. I'd prefer to go out with at least one other to pick up the pieces.The whales should be round for the next month but I'm also thinking that we should use some of these good days, like last Sunday, while we can.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
( yes, I am young enough to still get invited to 21st's )
Mate, your kids' 21st's don't count :roll:.
Slaughter wrote:
The whales should be round for the next month but I'm also thinking that we should use some of these good days, like last Sunday, while we can.
As I understand, the whales get more common toward the end of June. Personally, I'm happy to sail right through the winter, as long as it's sunny. I actually prefer being able to stay out through the middle of the day without getting cooked.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suppose this weekend isn't looking all that great unless we want a quick trip to Broughton on Sunday :lol:

If I didn't have this 21st, Friday would have been the day for me. Perhaps if we just keep looking week by week at the charts and when all the stars align off we go. What do you think of the launch site ?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
I suppose this weekend isn't looking all that great unless we want a quick trip to Broughton on Sunday :lol:

Hmm, wind 30 knots, wave height 18ft - sounds perfect. Fingal Bay looks great but, as you say, perhaps another day.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Perhaps if we just keep looking week by week at the charts and when all the stars align off we go. What do you think of the launch site ?

I like that plan Slaughter, and the launch site as well. 8)
We walked out to the island at low tide once.
I'm happy to go any time of the year but we should try and pick the best weather window. This weekend doesn't seem to be it. :(
BTW-could you look at this post on carts?
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18872&p=106000#p106000
I thought they might like to see your mod!

PS-I'm still keen for a longer stay on Broughton. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a plan is coming together and if we just use this thread to keep updated I'm sure we will all work something out soon.

I'm stuffed if I can see why that ad with Laura on Fingal was a flop. I thought it was spot on.

I haven't been following that cart thread but I'll post a photo of my cart on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Come on Mickey, that's not like you. Surely you must be able to justify another trip up this way.

Tuesday could be good fellas ?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Come on Mickey, that's not like you. Surely you must be able to justify another trip up this way.

I should join all the other grey nomads from down here who migrate north for the winter :lol:
Can't really do it this year because of o/seas trip mid Aug - mid Nov. Guess I need to spend some time at home getting organised etc :roll:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:? :roll: Hi all. While were on the issue of adventuring in the winter months, can I ask you what sort of gear do you use to keep dry and warm. We've had a look at Whitworths to see what they have but they only have those wet weather pants with the braces and separate booties. Is that all thats around or has someone found something better. We have wet weather jackets but nothing for the bottom end.
Cheers Deb.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

.........nothing on the bottom end, welcome to the club Deb. We generally all go completely naked. Haven't you seen Stringy's pose in the Photo Competition thread yet. Seriously, there are a couple of threads on the forum related to clothing. Personally, I have a steamer wet suit which I only use because I bought it. Pretty useless really but OK for about 20% of the time. So I then went out to buy some Gortex pants and top, but couldn't justify the cost at the time so I went cheap $60 for the 2. Again, they are OK but don't breath very good ( that's where the money is, does it breath ). Dry suits are expensive, generally good quality, waterproof and breathable but the drawback is that they are 'all in one' so you can't just use the top or bottom and they arn't the most trendy bit of gear you will have in your wardrobe. So the ducks guts of it all from where I sit is if you can afford Gortex top and bottom, go for it. It's the best all round bit of gear that suits pretty near all situations. And I think I'm right in saying that there are a number of different layers of thickness you can buy so don't go too thick or bulky ie: ski type gear is far too thick. I think 2 Layer is good. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody.

Keep it in mind that when nature calls you have to get to your bits. And with drinking and peddeling, nature seems to call a bit more often than usual.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:

No way I could make it mid week. Got people away at work and I've just done an unexpected trip to Melbourne. Weather's looking pretty yuk for the next week anyway.