Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought '93 H20 which is my first daggerboard cat. How far can u drop the daggerboards when going upwind?? Not sure what is too far.... and no obvious stops.....

Also, my headstay connects to the mast tang directly with a shackle, while the assembly manual I downloaded shows a 7 hole adjuster between the headstay and tang. Was the adjuster not used on the older boats, or mine just missing it?

Finally, who make the best cover for the H20? I keep mine on the beach of my lake in FL, and don't want the sun to kill it. Want one that will last and fit well enought I don't have to remove it when it blows.

Only had the boat on the water a coulple of times, but seems to have great sailing qualities. Now just need to get the spinnaker kit so I can fly the kite I bought for it :D

Thanks, Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:52 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
The dagger boards will go all the way down on the upwind run, the rope handles will stop them from falling out. The 7 holes adjuster was added to new boats since everyone was adding them gangways, it gives you better mast rake which will improve performance, not sure how much on a H20.....Maybe Greg Thomas will read this and answer, I set mine and have not changed it in years.

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard/Hunter Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info.... why are the boards tapered on the trailing edge on the upper 1/3? Made me think that they should not be inserted beyond that point. Inserting them all the way should of course improve upwind performance.

Thanks again, Jay

Post subject: Tapered?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Tapered boards?

The head (top) tapers forward to the simgle rope hole. I would guess we did that for weight reasons. The upper portion is in the well. Where the board is full width is at the bottom of the well and in the water.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I understand now.... can't wait to sail it with the boards all the way down! My last cat was a P-19 about 20 years ago, and things are just a little different with this boat. Looking forward to racing with the Hobie folks down here in FL in the near future.

No doubt I'll have more questions soon...... I really appreciate having this forum!

Thanks, Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another question..... there is an aluminum clam cleat with a roller on the front of the mast for the jib halyard. However, the line on the jib halyard has a small a small flat s-hook on it so you can release and store the extra portion of the halyard, and that hook will not pass under the roller to go back though the sheave on the halyard or to go through the clam cleat. Any ideas??

Also, there is a ss triangle bracket on the front of the mast, with one 'point' being at the mast, and the other two points would be each pointing at a bow (hope this makes sense...). There are also two small cam cleats, one on either side of the mast. I believe this is some sort of system for positive mast rotation, but not sure how to rig it..... any ideas on this one??

Thanks again, Jay H20 564

Post subject: Halyard
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:13 am 
Site Admin

The "sister hooks" connection (s hook) is not standard, so may not work on the 20 as is.

The two small cam cleats are also not standard, so not sure how someone may have intended to rig the positive rotation system.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jay,

If the cam cleats are within say a foot of the mast base and positioned to hold a line going "up", they could be for a cascading downhaul system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replys..... the small cam cleats are horizontially oriented on the forward crossbar, and point towards a point maybe a foot or so in front of the base of the mast.... about at the two points on the stainless steel triangle which makes me think it is some sort of positive mast rotation setup.

Guess I'll break down and call the prior owner on that one.....

Thanks again!

Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

agree with John the 2 cleets on the lower portion of the mast are for a cascading downhawl system i will try to send pictures if you contact me.

I have two lines on the jib halyard 1. a short end with sister clip and a long end used to host the jib so that I can disconnet the long end after raising the jib. 2. the second is a slightly larger line about 5 feet long that is never disconnected from the metal section of the jib halyard this is the line that is run thru the roller cleat on the front of the mast back up thru the block and back down to the cleet for jib sheet luft tension

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom

After rereading your description of the jib halyard, I now get it! I'll add the second line and see how it works.

Thanks, Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

t page wrote:
2. the second is a slightly larger line about 5 feet long that is never disconnected from the metal section of the jib halyard this is the line that is run thru the roller cleat on the front of the mast back up thru the block and back down to the cleet for jib sheet luft tension

I see in the instructions this line shall be routed as Tom described, "back down to the cleat", but I'll be damned if I can get the line as shown "behind" and past the the first purchase of line around the roller. :?

There some trick? Was thinking of replacing with smaller diameter line. Is there an alternative way to route?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

yes John see you at the next regatta with hands on description Tom :D