Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok so after buying the TF (#125) nearly 4 years ago I had her out on Saturday for the first time. Unfortunately Saturday's efforts were cut short when. My mate and I discovered during it's first rigging that the starboard mast step was snapped off the AMA casting and missing!

The rest of Saturday was spent fabricating a new one using the port side as a guide.

Sunday we were on the water by 11 am (rigging a TF isn't _that_ bad!) but the max wind speed for the day was only 8 knots, so while it was great to learning how to handle the boat it was a touch frustrating not getting on the foils.

Today, (Monday) the forecasted windows were 12-13 kts so we were optimistic heading out. When we had her in the water I went solo as we thought that was our best chance of seeing her fly. On my second tack I was airborne!! Oh my god what an experience, I was doing on foil jybes within the next 20 mins or so and after that point stayed on foils for about an hour and a half.

I felt bad as my mate Rich was on shore watching so I thought I'd go pick him up and we try foiling two up. After he swam out to the boat and hoiked himself in, we couldn't believe we were on the foils within about 10 minutes. We spent about three and a half hours out on the water! Even though I was freezing cold we just couldn't come in it was that good.

Our max speed (gps) was 29.9 knots.

Tomorrow we are out again the forecast is for 20 knots, so I think we'll be reefed.

Greg Ketterman, you are a legend. This boat is awesome beyond words.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Awesome!! Sounds like a permagrin for at least a week

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take some video! I love that stuff

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, tell us about your next day of sailing in more wind. It should have been more exciting, so let us see how much faster than 29.9 knots you went. Can you post your track or forward the file from your GPS?
I know the boat you are sailing, it was local here in Southern California for a while. Did you know there are 2 other TFs in NZ? [email protected], he has post here before and [email protected] boat #44. Now in Lake Wanaka NZ, which is in the very south end of your country, that is pretty far away.

If you want to buy the factory mast step bracket, let me know and I will send one to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi TFG,

Yes I know about Matt Cox's boat he is north of Auckland, but I wasn't aware there was one on South Island as well.

The next day of sailing didn't happen! The weather was horrible with drizzle and very poor visability. Wind forecast didn't eventualise either so we de-rigged her and put her away.

As to it being more exciting, I can't imagine it being any more exciting than it was the day we hit 29.9!

I shall look forward to the next day that I take her out. Being almost the middle of winter here I might wait until late spring.

Re: the mast step, the one we made is as good as factory! I'll upload a pic in due course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi i really interested in this boat do you think it could sail in this wave of condition
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PWmxjxP0_hE/S ... C_0022.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Friz,
The picture attached shows me a good wind velocity. Since that body of water looks small, the waves don't have much of a fetch, so the waves don't build up. Also, I see a dark patch, indicating a gust, which is probably due to the trees on the far side shore line. Gusts and varible wind strength help reduce the build up of waves.
The TriFoiler handles all wave states up to 2 feet on the face with no problem. 3 foot face maximum for swells and rollers. If it doesn't crest and break, then the Dynamic Leveling System does a great job of getting over and around waves. Ferryboat wakes can be really hard stops if too big. Always slow down when you can see them. The clearance under the hull when flying isn't as important as a main foil coming out of the back of a wave and ventilating, (loss of water attached to surface of foil by air.) In these rough conditions, the main hull will be getting lots of water inside. Needs to be bailed out occasionally, good job for a co-pilot.