Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently purchased the single AI Trailex trailer from my dealer. I have assembled the trailer itself but the trailer instructions say to "follow Hobie's instructions for installing the cradles".
Well, the cradles came with NO instructions. It's not that big a deal, I can figure that out with the T-bolts that came with the trailer (the ones that slide into the channels of the crossbar/cradle holders). But rather than having to figure it out I would save a lot of time if proper instructions were available

But I also ordered the Hobie tie down set and the instructions only explain how to mount them one a double trailer.

Are there any instructions on how to best mount the tie down set on the single trailer?

For as much as I paid for the trailer, cradles, and tie down set they should at least come with some decent instructions!

Not only that but Trailex didn't give me the right crossbars. There is supposed to be a long one for the rear cradle to mount to and a short one for the front. They gave me two long ones instead. So now I have to figure out how to safely cut the front one down to the proper size (which, of course, is not listed anywhere in the instructions so I don't even know how much to cut).

All of these problems can be resolved by me by just thinking it through but it really annoys me that I have to.
Originally I was going to buy a cheap utility trailer and figure out how to adapt it for the AI but decided against it because the Hobie trailer was purpose-built for the AI and would'nt require any 'engineering' on my part. Well, maybe the premuim I paid was not worth it after all (unlike every other Hobie product I have bought in the past).

Anybody mounted the Hobie tie-down kit to a single AI trailer?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The single trailers all come with 2 x 48" crossbars now so that they are compatible with all our Island models (Tandem as well as Single) and PA's.

There is no need to cut anything down - but if you must, it shouldn't be a problem

There are tie down point that you mount in the ends of both crossbars and the strap just attaches to those. (over the top of the boat) There have never been instructions for tie downs - never heard that we needed them - very sorry for any confusion - if you have any questions please feel free to e mail me directly from my link below - or call me - I'm sure that I can help you through this without much trouble.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Trailex got back to me after my post and explained that the front crossbar is the same length of the rear for the reasons you mentioned. Makes sense, more versatile for different boats..

I am going to leave the front crossbar alone for awhile to see if it makes any difference to me but my fear is that I will inevitably crack my shin on that front crossbar while walking around when strapping/unstrapping because it will stick out so far beyond the front part of the hull.
If I decide to later cut it down to the original size does anyone happen to know the length?
Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas for padding the crossbar end or pre-made caps that would fit? The open ends seem kinda sharp from a shin thwacking standpoint!
Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, haven't used a trailer yet.

Regarding the Hobie tie down straps, there actually were instructions included but they were for attaching to the double trailer, not the single.
Again, not rocket science, I was just hoping for better instructions for placement of the permanent mount side of the straps to avoid trial-and-error. It turns out that Trailex included a couple extra T-bolts that I will use for the tie down straps. I'll just have to experiment with location.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have also reached the same point in the assembly of my single Trailex trailer, and am also puzzled by the lack of instructions on the installation of the cradles.

Request guidance on the installation of the cradles. Especially since it appears that the carpet needs to be cut or removed to access the bolts securing the cradle to the trailer.

If the carpet needs to be cut, what needs to be done to prevent sand and debris from falling through the cut in the carpet and collecting in the bolt cavity.

Need further guidance if the carpet needs to be removed and then reinstalled.

Cradles and trailer were quite pricey, but purchased it for the proper fit, and peace of mind that everything was thoroughly engineered (no additional thinking would be needed on the part of the purchaser to make things work).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:29 am 
Site Admin

Cut the carpet for bolt install. No concern about sand or water... nothing you can do about that.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, thanks.