Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The PA steering fix
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

An interesting way I've improved the steering on the PA. Even after installing the upgrade steering drum issues still pursued, so I needed a fix; especially fishing hard in the salt day and night. I put about two hours into solving the steering issues taking everything apart,seat as well. It seemed there was always excess noise and tension while on the water, and the steering even with the upgrade was not a vast improvement. I used a stethoscope to locate the noise and area of friction. There was noise inside the steering drum, I took it apart and noticed where the plastic was rubbing; I then added WD-40 to the center of the housing.Put everything back together and moved on to other places of friction. The second spot was behind the seat where the cables run into the hull, this spot could not be modified; the cables run individually through their own plastic housing. The last place of noise was the rudder itself. I sprayed the rudder shaft with the WD-40 and then tested it out on the saltwater. The difference was mindblowing. Everything ran smooth,the steering was 100%
better, there was still a slight little noise but a vast improvement overall. It's a pleasure now with the steering, and where the WD-40 sits it's out of harms way with dirt build up concerning sand or salt. I've had the PA out fishing hard the past two weeks night and day, the steering issue has been resolved. It's an easy fix with no mods. If anyone needs pics I can take stuff back apart, but it's pretty straight forward on this one. There will be a noticeable difference if you try this believe me.
Anyhow, I'm back to cleaning fish at the moment; owning a PA it's a way of life....that is catching and cleaning fish.

Since I'm not always on the forums, it's best to email me direct if you need help; I'm always there to help. MJ.
[email protected]

Post subject: Re: The PA steering fix
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please tell me that the neighbours didn't see you listening to your boat with a stethoscope! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol: My neighbors have come to realize that no matter how crazy things may seem, this place is always dripping with huge fish. I'll be taking pictures of the catch of today which was beyond silly. Thank God for bonus tags.

It's bacause of that stethoscope that you guys are now going to be steering around like nobodys business. :wink:

I'm about to post some recent NJ striper pics from the PA. Take a peek. MJ.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Were your lines white or grey? Reason I ask is that we made a change to the PA this year and started using the 1.75mm spectra line instead in the system to help with friction issues. This line is already used throughout our entire kayak lineup. I'd say that this is the best thing to change in the PA rudder control. (If it wasn't already)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi, Jbernier, I was wondering... is the 1.75mm spectra white or grey? My PA was made in November 09' and came with the white line. Where would one find the spectra line? I probably won't make any changes until season's end. Thanks for the info.
sifisto wrote:
There was noise inside the steering drum, I took it apart and noticed where the plastic was rubbing; I then added WD-40 to the center of the housing.

Hi, Dr. Sifisto, can you tell us where you experienced the plastic rubbing on the steering drum? I'm sure there will be differences from one PA to the next but I don't have a stethoscope to properly diagnose my PAtient (really bad but couldn't resist). Glad to hear you're reelin' em in and thanks for the diagnostics!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In the center of the steering drum the plastic rubs together, if the screw isn't secured down tight the white line will come through the drum. Guys, I'm not the casual recreational fisherman, I'm in the salt almost twice a day and know these Hobies inside out and backwards. The response to adding the WD-40 was a Godsend in specific locations. Don't add it to the cable housing that the lines run through, just inside the center of the steering drum and rudder shaft. Good luck, I know this will make a difference.

Once a few of you try this the reason will become clear. The are no contra indications to the side effects of this application...it cannot cause harm...so you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Dr, huh; I am trying to become a male nurse....there is humor in this. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I must say I have been frustrated with the steering on my PA. I also must say that it is a shame that I have not taken the time to really go through the problem and try to do a better job of fixing it. I fish the open ocean a lot and every spare minute I have I gotta be on the ocean fishing. I have let my passion to fish every minute to take precedence over care, maintenance and repairs. Thank you for sharing your simple fix and I will take your advice to hopefully remedy this situation:)

Take Care

Maui Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:04 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was wondering... is the 1.75mm spectra white or grey? My PA was made in November 09' and came with the white line. Where would one find the spectra line?

The white line has a coating on it that was fine till a while after use... starts sticking in the tubes a bit. Causes a "grunting" sound in some boats (added friction). We went back to the standard spectra used on all other Mirage kayaks a long time ago.

81023001 LINE-CONTROL 1.75 MM

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

good stuff as always Mike, I was out the door and spraying after reading post :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

81023001 LINE-CONTROL 1.75 MM

Matt, is the spectra line a warranty option, or is it a user upgrade? Thanks.MJ.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'd cover under warranty if you like. Pretty inexpensive too. (.22 / foot) Looks like just under 14 feet would do it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Sifisto, MM and Jbernier,
I'll likely go with the WD-40 treatment for now and upgrade during the off season.
Cheers,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thought this good post deserved to be brought up to the top again. After a busy season my steering was getting a bit stiff, so today I opened up the steering handle mechanism and lubed it as did Sifisto, only with Breakfree instead of WD-40. What a difference. The steering just floats now. I also noticed one shouldn't completely crank down the center screw holding the assembly together. Mine has locktite on it and that is holding it snug, even though it is not fully tightened.

Almost cried covering up the PA in the garage with a brand-new tarp. It's going to be a long winter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BreakFree leaves a light wax lubricant behind. WD40 is mostly a solvent and leaves no lubricant behind.

My steering is fine so I can't suggest which product is better for the purpose at hand.