Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trips around Sydney
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sunday afternoon in a breeze-free harbour

With my wife still in Norway I had little incentive to go home this weekend, so took the opportunity to spend the weekend in Sydney and muck around on the boat. The first task was to upgrade the GPS, so I visited my 4WDing associate, Brian at GPSOZ, and picked up a new GPSmap 76CSx plus a varied collection of RAM brackets, mounts and braces.

The next chore was to string up the spray skirt which Bob's wife had so professionally sewn up for me. Finally it was time to assemble it all on the AI and take it for a test drive.

Arriving at WSC late Sunday morning I met a couple of new AI owners trying to unjam their skew-wif mirage drive. Whilst out near Shark Island and under some power peddling, one side of the click-and-go and let go, lifting the drive on one side and jamming up the other side. With a bit of judicious pressure on the release lever I managed to free it.

By lunch time I had the spray skirt rigged and was ready to sail, however, I had left the battery drill and drill bits back at the flat - and without them I was unable to mount the new GPS on the new RAM bits. I decided to take a couple of the famous WSC sausage rolls and then nick back to the flat to get the tools.
Image Image Image Image

I was back at the sailing club by 1:44. With the RAM mount installed on the gunwarl and the new GPS secured in its new mount I was on my way.

The afternoon was peaceful, with virtually no breeze. The keel boat races were almost a non-event with more than 2/3 of the fleet registereing DNFs at 4:30pm. Nevertheless, the crews appeared to enjoy the sun and relaxation whilst consuming vast quantities of beverage.

I decided to peddle across to Chowder Bay and check out the Bacino Kiosk which CGM indicated was a good source of a mid-trip caffien fix.

From there I peddled out towards Bradleys Head and then across the Harbour towards Rushcutter Bay. Halw way across a bit of a NEaster sprung up and I was sailing downwind at almost 2 kts. The wind sustained at almost 5 kts and I was able to sail across to Double Bay and on to Rose Bay, getting home to WSC and washing down the boat before dusk.

Trip Log:
Image Image

Total distance: 6.5 NM
Maximum speed: 5.4 kts
Time moving: 2hr 27min
Time stopped: 9min
Moving average: 2.7 kts

Review of the GPSmap 76CSx and mounting arrangement will be published elsewhere later this week.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a very pleasent day out even if there wasn't much wind. At least you made it to the Chowder Bay coffee place while it was open this time.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very quiet around Sydney AI wise.... :?
Can't wait for some better weather. 8m (26ft) seas reported off the coast today. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in Sydney on 19 June and in desperate need of an AI fix. Looking forward of a relatively early departure from WSC (09:00 on the ramp) and keen for company.

Det

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

okz00k wrote:
I'm in Sydney on 19 June and in desperate need of an AI fix. Looking forward of a relatively early departure from WSC (09:00 on the ramp) and keen for company.

Det

Not sure I can make it that weekend. Last weekend for being on call. Blame the World Cup and fanatics at work who want to see it.... :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Saturday 19 June under the Bridge

Seabreeze predicted relatively constant 10-15kt Westerlies for Sunday 19 June. As usual, they weren't quite right, this time with a very conservative estimate - the Harbour was blessed with 15-20kts Westerlies and clear skies. What a magic winter sailing day.

After a leisurely Sunday lie-in, I was on the boat ramp at a respectable 11:30. The ramp was well sheltered from the westerlies, but after a few judicious peddles I was reaching in 10-15kts. On clearing Rose Bay I found the 15-20 knotters coming straight down the Harbour from the Bridge. To ensure a leisurely and swift trip home, I decided to head under the Bridge and explore Neutral Bay on the way. The return trip was around Goat Island followed by broad port reach to the northern end of the Bridge, a broad starboard reach towards Garden Island and around Pinch Gut and a few more jibes towards Bradleys Head and then straight down Rose Bay.

Unfortunately I neglected to install the SD card in my camera, so no piccies. Likewise I had no fully charged batteries in the GPS so I failed to record the home run, during which the AI actually came up on a plane - truly exhilarating.

Thanks KayakBob for the spray skirt. They worked a treat and made the ride in the cool breeze more than tolerable. Before fitting the skirts I would have been inundated every minute by the chop breaking over the bow.

Last edited by okz00k on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're dryer, and so warmer but looking cool too! :D

Nice job.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a good trip. Wish I could have got out. I trust you got out on Saturday 19th?
I'm getting withdrawl symptons and get the shakes every time I read the forum. Didn't get any better when I dropped into the Sailing Scene and fondled a TI.

Hopefully get a few more weekends free for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gotta luv those performance Charts 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Going to try to get out on Saturday the 10th if anyone's going to around the harbour.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Didn't get any better when I dropped into the Sailing Scene and fondled a TI.

Cows - are ya gonna get one??
I'm starting to think it would be an excellent idea if we all had one - just so that we could take our forum mates out if/when they visit our area/region. :) Makes even more sense when they are travelling from overseas and can't bring one with them. :D
Guess it's on my mind at present as I am busy planning our 10wk trip to Europe.
Currently looking at car rental lease buyback plans. Unfortunately there's nothing like that for our baby. :(

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Quote:
Didn't get any better when I dropped into the Sailing Scene and fondled a TI.

Cows - are ya gonna get one??
I'm starting to think it would be an excellent idea if we all had one - just so that we could take our forum mates out if/when they visit our area/region. :) Makes even more sense when they are travelling from overseas and can't bring one with them. :D
Guess it's on my mind at present as I am busy planning our 10wk trip to Europe.
Currently looking at car rental lease buyback plans. Unfortunately there's nothing like that for our baby. :(

They sure look good but I'm pretty sure I'd have issues solo getting it on the car and around the back of the house. They offered to lend me a hull just to see though..... It was painfull driving away!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cows, I'm waiting for a relatively light weight custom-built trailer to be finished for my forthcoming TI. I'll post some pics (and plans) when I get it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A trailer is the way to go with the TI. It's actually quicker and easier for me to go out in my TI from the trailer, than my AI.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

captain-max wrote:
Cows, I'm waiting for a relatively light weight custom-built trailer to be finished for my forthcoming TI. I'll post some pics (and plans) when I get it.

Unfortunatly I don't have room for another trailer. I agree that would be the best way to move it. Plus in Sydney I'd have to additional issue of parking the thing. Much easier with something that goes on the roof.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next