Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a newbie to this forum with a TI on the way. I'm curious if there are any opinions about carrying one (possibly two) TI's on something small like the malone microsport. We would eventually like to have two TI's and realize that this wouldn't be able to carry all the gear (mast and akas, pedals, etc), but it looks like I could get the two kayaks and the amas on the trailer and throw the rest into our pickup (tacoma with bike racks and camper). I like the versatility and size of the trailer as compared to a trailex which seems to be larger and more specific in purpose. It would be nice to be able to use the trailer to pull more bikes if we decided to leave the yaks at home. and I think the microsport would be easy to transition. So, I see a trade-off for both options; the trailex would be sturdier and capable of carrying all the gear, and possibly leave the amas assembled with kayak, but not quite as compact and flexible. Opinions anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sophiahat;

Welcome and I am not sure what your looking for but here is what I came up with.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have gone through some TI trailer experiences.

First, bought a Malone trailer, all was good till my dealer figured out that the crossbars would NOT be large enough to support 2 TIs.
(With a little metal work - I am told it would work).

Then, we ordered a Hobie Trailex trailer and I believe it will have large enough crossbars to carry 2 TIs (8 feet wide).
So for now, I have a Trailex trailer at the moment on order.

Still waiting for a boat - Maybe by the end of this month?

Last edited by TxYackMan on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Check out the new Hobie Spring 2010 catalog...

http://www.hobiecat.com/media/pdf/eKayak_2010Spring.pdf

There is a new Double-Double trailer made to accomodate two TI's. It's 8' wide. Does anyone know the length (loaded and unloaded) of the new Double-Double trailer? I am likely to buy this one, but need to make sure it will fit in my garage when loaded with the TI.

There is also a new Heavy Duty "Plug-in" Cart for the TI.

Page 28 shows the TI on the new cradles on the single trailer. Both the front and rear cradles support the amas and a bow support was added for the main hull. Using scaled measurements (knowing the TI is 18.5' long), it looks like the single trailer is about 15.5 feet long. The good thing about the single trailer is that the main hull can be mounted very close to the tow vehicle without interfering in turns. The double and double-double trailers will be a different story.

Hobie Cat 14T
Home built sailboat (in progress)

Edmond, OK

Last edited by yakaboutit on Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah that is the one I am getting...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Everyone for the comments and photos, I think I'm getting more honed in on my options.
Mark, you mentioned that your dealer determined that the microsport wasn't wide enough for two TI's. I'm guessing that you wanted to keep the amas attached on the trailer, is that correct?

I'm wondering if you could get 2 TI's on the trailer above; assuming that you would put the 4 amas in the center, the kayaks on the outside and the rest of the gear elsewhere ( the truck in my case). It would mean a lot more tear down and set-up time for sure. I wonder how the trailer would perform under that type of weight load.

Thanks for your input so far.
Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,

I was hoping to get the AMAs attached and using the Hobie Cradles.
I think things would work fine if you are willing to take them off.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The link I originally posted above for the Spring 2010 catalog was pointing to the Fall 2009 Catalog. I just updated it to point to the new catalog. It looks like Hobie has not updated all of the links on their website to point to the new spring catalog.

Hobie Cat 14T

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sophiahat wrote:
Thanks Everyone for the comments and photos, I think I'm getting more honed in on my options.
Mark, you mentioned that your dealer determined that the microsport wasn't wide enough for two TI's. I'm guessing that you wanted to keep the amas attached on the trailer, is that correct?

I'm wondering if you could get 2 TI's on the trailer above; assuming that you would put the 4 amas in the center, the kayaks on the outside and the rest of the gear elsewhere ( the truck in my case). It would mean a lot more tear down and set-up time for sure. I wonder how the trailer would perform under that type of weight load.

Thanks for your input so far.
Chris

I noticed that the Hobie AI and TI cradles specify a 67" distance between the two cradles. The Malone trailer, which I am also interested in, has a 48" distance between the rails. I wonder if this would be a problem. Has anyone else mounted the TI cradles at 48" that can provide feedback?

Also, Hobie's new Double-Double trailer (for two TI's) has 96" (8') rails. So, getting two TI's on the Malone trailer may take wider rails than those offered by Malone. It looks like Malone offers an upgrade to 78" rails, but nothing longer. I'm sure longer rails could be purchased elsewhere or made at home.

Hobie Cat 14T

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had ordered/purchased the Malone trailer. Luckily my dealer determined that this trailer would not work so well for 2 TIs.

Here is what he told me.
The Malone trailer does not have designated mounting points to add an additional bar to extend what is already there. A metal shop could weld something on there to extend them, but this would be something we could not do as we can only sell parts that are designed to fit according to the manufacturer specs.

So I now have the Hobie Double/Double trailer on order.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TxYackMan wrote:
I had ordered/purchased the Malone trailer. Luckily my dealer determined that this trailer would not work so well for 2 TIs.

Here is what he told me.
The Malone trailer does not have designated mounting points to add an additional bar to extend what is already there. A metal shop could weld something on there to extend them, but this would be something we could not do as we can only sell parts that are designed to fit according to the manufacturer specs.

So I now have the Hobie Double/Double trailer on order.

I ordered one TI and one Adventure (not AI, just the kayak). I am strugling with a trailer decision. The Double/Double will have certainly acomodate my needs, but I would prefer to go with less width, but I am concerned about the length of the Double being long enough for the TI. I am also concerned about the Double/Double when loaded being too long to fit in my garage. I have not been successful at getting measurements on any of the trailers to help in my decision.

Mark

Hobie Cat 14T

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the double TI trailer and I understand the only difference is it's 9" wider cross bars (8' wide), same length.

Also, it seemed, the TI trailer was a LOT more expensive than the AI trailer. My dealer was told it was because it included both crossbars (AI & TI), but if it did, Trailex then shorted my dealer his AI cross bars for his AI trailer ordered with it. Also, the shipping was 4x what was quoted by Hobie, again, supposedly because of the extra set of longer bars. For the 9" difference, I think I could have made due with the AI double trailer.

It is a nice trailer, well designed, and assembly (I assembled it) was easy once I found the CD included and printed out the instructions from among a dozen files.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

reconlon wrote:
I have the double TI trailer and I understand the only difference is it's 9" wider cross bars (8' wide), same length.

Also, it seemed, the TI trailer was a LOT more expensive than the AI trailer. My dealer was told it was because it included both crossbars (AI & TI), but if it did, Trailex then shorted my dealer his AI cross bars for his AI trailer ordered with it. Also, the shipping was 4x what was quoted by Hobie, again, supposedly because of the extra set of longer bars. For the 9" difference, I think I could have made due with the AI double trailer.

It is a nice trailer, well designed, and assembly (I assembled it) was easy once I found the CD included and printed out the instructions from among a dozen files.

Thanks for this info. Can you tell me the length from trailer hitch to boat stern? One of my biggest concerns is whether or not I can fit the trailer with boats loaded into my garage. Also, how much distance is between the two TI cradles. This would help me a lot in my decision. Also, is there a bow support on the Double/Double like on the TI Single?

Thanks,
Mark

Hobie Cat 14T

Edmond, OK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't have the Hobie Cradles. They did not arrive with the trailer and TI shipment here in Hawaii, and I wanted a more generic approach for combinations of TI's and AI's.

So, I can give you trailer measurements, or TI (or AI) measurements, but not The TI on the Trailex trailer. I'm still working out my TI placement on my trailer. :)

No bow support, just two 2 1/2" square aluminum bars 67" apart

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We took delivery of our TI yesterday, and have it stored on our new Hobie / Trailex Double/Double trailer. We got the trailer just over a month ago and have been using it with our old Sport and Outback while waiting for the TI to arrive. With the two older boats, the Trailex was a bit bouncy because it was so lightly loaded, though it pulled very smoothly. It handles differently with the TI mounted on it - much steadier now, which I attribute to the added weight.

The TI arrived with the new TI cradles, and I helped getting them mounted on the Trailex. The pre-production TI cradle they have on hand is very different from the shipping version; the pre-production unit is made from fiberglass and looks like a lot of hand-work was involved, while the production unit is made from white molded plastic of some sort. Both have a black felted-material glued to them to protect the kayak and ama hulls. The TI cradles are much shallower than the AI cradles, and there isn't any bow or stern support.

The TI takes exactly one half of the 8 foot wide Trailex; there is enough room for two of them and nothing else - no room at all for the optional center Tower System. We plan on storing a Revo on the passenger side this year (we take delivery in a couple of weeks), but may trade it in for another TI next year - depending on how my wife likes single-handing the TI on her own.

The TI and Trailex together are 22 feet, 4 inches in length - measured from the tip of the hitch up front, to the end of the rudder in the rear, longer if you store the the TI further back on the cradles. There is approximately 3 feet between the end of the TI and the bumper of my pickup (1990 Toyota Truck). The center-line distance between the support cross-beams is exactly 67 inches. I cannot store the TI and trailer inside; the image below shows how big it is compared to my two-car garage - I can see both the hitch and the rudder from the street.

Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore
My sailing blog
Our sailing videos