All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: turtle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What you could do if the H17 turtle? :(

Post subject: Re: turtle
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Getting up from turtle is the same with all the cats. Hopefully you checked your mast before you went out and it is watertight - if it gets filled with water you are done for. You take the righting line from the windward hull over to the leeward hull. find your best footing and LEAN. and LEAN some more. It helps to get near the stern so the bows come up - it's sort of a flip-over backwards as you pull it sideways move. Getting it up from turtle is easier than the getting it the rest of the way over in my opinion. There are videos and tons of instructional stuff available on this forum and youtube.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Right it just like any other turtled boat.

Get your weight as far aft on the downwind hull as you can. That will lift the windward bow and the wind will help bring the boat back up to the capsized position. Then use the righting line to right as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A few extra points. While turtled, and very stable, take a few moments to make sure that all sheets and traveler are uncleated. Also make sure the hiking stick is not fouled in any lines, allowing the boat to round into the wind once righted. If it is really blowing then the boat will unturtle quickly, with the wind helping push on the tramp. AND remember to hold onto the dolphen striker once the boat is at the point of 'no return' to keep it from cartwheeling. Last time I flipped, it was really blowing (25+) and the boat unturtled and righted within 1 minute of my leaning. The only time I couldn't unturtle the boat solo was down in Columbia Gorge with big wind and 4-5+ ft waves. The waves kept knocking me off the hull while I attempted leaning out. Fortunately there were several windsurfers, and one sailed over, tethered to my boat and together we righted the boat. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

absolutely great points fastcat ! Doncha just love trying to stay put on the bottom side of a slippery hull with the waves trying to do you in ? man - it gets harder as I get older

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do people fill their masts with spray foam? just thinking about how watertight an old mast may be ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobie17intheuk wrote:
Do people fill their masts with spray foam? just thinking about how watertight an old mast may be ?

I will refer you to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26015