Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I looking for anyone that would have info about or has sailed on Seneca Lake. I'd like to plan a trip up this summer. I've been racing at the track for years but now that I'm back into sailing, I really want to hit the water. I've e-mailed both yacht clubs but have not gotten any replies. Do I need to get a NY launch permit or will my PA one be OK? Is there a known better month for wind that I should pick? I'd like info like that to help plan my trip. Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Right in my neighborhood! I live right near Watkins actually, and have sailed Seneca. To my knowledge you shouldnt need a launch permit, should be able to drop er in and hoist the colors high! Winds always vary as does the weather in Upstate NY on a daily basis....but Seneca usually has at least something going enough to toodle....though there are the rare days where no matter where ya are there isnt even so much as a pffff let alone breeze or wind. Also, if you plan on being in town a few days, Keuka offers some good sailing and beautiful scenery as well. If ya want, I can try to hook up with ya too....not sure if I will have my 16 ready by then or not, but if I do Id love to get out any chance I had. If you want any more info, shoot me an email or something and I can do some leg work if I dont have the answer right off for ya.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seneca sailor here - since age 7. I know Seneca like the back of my hand. Been there my whole life - (well not yet :wink: )
There are many launch sites but not all of them sailboat friendly. Some launches are in harbors. The best option in that case is find a place on the beach where you can pull up the boat. Leave your mast and beer on the beach. Go launch the boat and paddle it over to the beach where you can rig it and launch and land all day. You have to be careful in some areas because there are boulders. However, there are also plenty of shale and sand beaches too. If I have an idea of your itinerary I can be of better help (east side/west side/north end/south end, camping etc) - or if you want an itinerary feel free to email me.

Briefly- if you're camping - The east side of the lake has more sailboat friendly launches. About 14 miles up is a a quaint little place called Smith Park near Peach Orchard Point. There's great places to hang out and eat like Big Johnson's and the StoneCat cafe' at the top of the hill. The launch at Smith is sailboat friendly. We used to have our Seneca Sailing Association races there every Sunday. Much further up the lake on the east side is Sampson State Park. It's a really nice spot and there is a sandy launch site - the only problem is that you have to temporarily dis-obey a "no vehicles" sign and drive down a walkway -road to launch. The Ranger doesn't really seem to mind however. The west side has almost nothing that works well for a beach and launch site. Check my post elsewhere on the forum on the Places to Sail discussion. A search for posts by author widerisbetter should do the trick.

Welcome to the Finger Lakes 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2007 Hobie Cat Women's, Youth, H-14, H-17, and H-18 North American Championships were sailed on Senica lake.
http://www.hobienac.com/

It was a fun place to race, and lots to do off the water too.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is awesome - I did not know that! I certainly would have shown up to lend a hand - what Fleet sponsored this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it was a joint effort from all the fleets in Division16.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD