Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am the proud new owner of an i12. I am amazed at the how well it is constructed. I also got a sail to go with it. Got home and was trying out the different parts.

Problem. Slide the 4 piece mast (slender end first) into the sail but the mast didn't want to come out when pulled. All that happened was the bottom section of mast came out and elastic cord connecting the sections stretched a couple of feet. Next section of mast wouldn't move. The top 1/3 of the sail seems to be stitched very snug so the mast seemed stuck at the top.

Finally after pushing on the top section with rods I managed to slide the top mast section down so most of the bottom rod length was out. During this the stitched material just inside the bottom opening of the sail partially slide down and would not let the next section of the mast slide out. Seemed to be about 1/2inch of excess material above stitch line. The excess material partially slide down stopping the next section of mast from coming out.

To solve the problem I had to use a small metal piece slide up the bottom sail opening to push the collapsed sail material back up the sail mast chute and then reach in with a pair of needle nose pliers to grasp the next section of the mast. Then the mast came out fine.

So should I be coating the mast with something? Is the top part of the sail chute stitched to tight? With it stretch out with use?

The sail is not ready for active use in its current shape.

Any ideas would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Next time start at the top... don't try to pull the mast out at the bottom.

The sails have "luff curve" sewn into them to create the shape required to induce "draft" for a properly functioning sail. This binds on the straight mast.

Grip the sail / mast near the top and then grab the sail further down. Pull your two hands together so you bunch up some of the sail material. Then push the hand grasping the mast, through the bunched up sail. Repeat several times to get the mast past the curved sail tolerance area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt's answer is of course the correct one.

However, I have a plastic rod with a rounded tip that I use to stick in the top and push the mast out about 2-3 feet. After that, it's simple to pull out. No sail scrunching required.

I would encourage you to use something that is small enough to fit in the top (past the black fabric stay) and smooth enough to pose no risk of damaging the sail. I had to hunt for a while for my rod... (it was in my shed, but hey...)